projection tubes

Old 03-29-02, 12:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
projection tubes

I have a sears LXI 52" TV from 1994 and recently the picture gets fuzzy and there is a vertical violet stripe in the middle of the screen so I called out a sears repair man and he said the fluid in the tubes need to be replaced and said it would cost 750.00, my question is what is the fluid?and is it possible for me to change it myself?
Old 03-29-02, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Good evening, wally14217:

First, there is a heat transfer fluid between the projection tube face and the lens. It can get cloudy over the years from bacteria.

Can you change it? Yes. A good site to get the fluid is:

How to change it? Get a service manual for the set and that is available at:

But, I should warn you. I requires removing the projection tubes, dumping the old liquid, flushing out the silt/grime, etc, and replacing the tubes in their original position.

$750 is too much. Check around for a better deal.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: