kp53s17 Sound but no picture

Old 03-31-02, 08:03 AM
poopy
Visiting Guest
HELP PLEASE kp53s17 Sound but no picture

Hi I have a 53 inch sony :standy timer light blinks always ,No picture just sound,guns can be seen warming up when looked at in the dark.Took a stab and replaced horizontal output still same problem.Your help is appreciated Thanks

Last edited by poopy; 03-31-02 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-31-02, 06:28 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, poopy:

I'm always interested on how you folks come up with these handles. LOL!

Check for blown fuses on your convergence board. There should be two of them. If one or more are blown, you need to replace the convergence IC's.

Need a repair manual? Check this site for fast service and secure ordering: http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

Repair parts are available at our friends at Union Electronics at
http://www.unionel.com/

Smokey

Old 03-31-02, 06:33 PM
poopy
Visiting Guest
Which one is the convergence board

Thanks

Old 03-31-02, 06:49 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, poopy:

The service manual will give you the information you desire.

And, please don't get me started on Sears. It could be brutal!

Smokey

Old 03-31-02, 06:53 PM
poopy
Visiting Guest
Just to let you know

I fix appliances(Laundry, fridges etc.)Did you have a bad experience at sears.

Old 04-01-02, 08:41 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Angry

Several bad experiences with Sears. Last time I shopped there was 1981.

Smokey

Old 04-01-02, 07:38 PM
poopy
Visiting Guest
Sorry to hear you have had several bad experiences

So what could be the problem with my set smokey.Tubes have a glow (in the dark) and just sound I get I have all schematics but can't figure it out.Thanks

Old 04-02-02, 05:52 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Do you get the familiar crackle of high voltage build up with you turn it on?

Check for fuses in the low voltage power supply. Could be a problem with a diode or filter capacitor.

Check for fuses in the convergence circuit. A blown fuse there will cause shut down. Usually this is caused by a shorted IC in either red or blue.

No high voltage? Check for a shorted HOT (Horizontal Output Transistor) or a bad high voltage/focus block.

These are places to start. Good hunting.

A good place to get ideas is in the archieves. Check this site for additional help: http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/protv.htm

Smokey

Old 04-03-02, 04:26 PM
poopy
Visiting Guest
Voltage

I have Voltage the guns are glowing when looked at in the dark.
Don't know what else to check.Thanks

Old 04-04-02, 06:11 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

As I said before:
Check for fuses in the convergence circuit. A blown fuse there will cause shut down. Usually this is caused by a shorted IC in either red or blue.

Smokey

Old 04-04-02, 08:46 PM
poopy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Smokey

Yeah no fuses gone a tech was called in and he said it could be up
to $600.00 before the set was fixed Wow is it worth it.He yanked the 3 guns and all the brains to go to the shop, did they just take me to the cleaners by saying it has to go to the shop.Is this a common way to make alot of money from a customer.Thanks

Old 04-05-02, 08:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Smokey:

Just curious why/how you had trouble with Sears. I always shop there and have had good luck/positive experiences with their stuff.

I usually research who makes it for them and compare to other things out there before making a choice.

For instance, I bought a Sears battery charger which is a Schumaker. They have 80% of the market on these things. I couldn't beat getting a 200 dollar charger for 100 bucks after discounts, a little griping (they were out of stock on the other models I wanted, so I demanded an upgrade) and a few coupons.

Just curious old buddy

Regards,

Old 04-05-02, 05:46 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Sorry, Joe_F:
This forum is for fixing Television and Stereo Problems and has nothing to do with my personal feelings about Sears.

Smokey

Old 04-05-02, 05:49 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

This thread is closed.

Poopie: Start a new thread if you have further problems. Big Mike and I are standing by to help.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: