Odd text on screen

Old 04-02-02, 03:05 AM
jkcykon
Visiting Guest
Question Odd text on screen

Hello all,
I own a Zenith model SG3541T which is acting strangely. The display sometimes flashes the number 800 with a bar graph following it. There are also other numbers and graphs that appear lower on the screen from time to time. They almost look like fields in a menu. This problem has no pattern, ie. doesn't always appear on the same channel, or after the unit has been on for a certain period of time.
I have a digital cable system coming in but I have had the problem with the cable disconnected and running a VCR.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim Cykon

Old 04-02-02, 05:34 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, jkcykon:

I have seen this problem before and it may be related to your situation.

Some of these sets have a provision for "messages" to be put on the screen. This is when little Johny comes home from school and plops down in front of the TV, Mom can leave a message that says, "Clean your room!"

It could be that someone was fooling with the remote control and left a message in the system. Check your menu on the unit and see if it has messaging capability. If it has, it has a provision for deleting messages.

Smokey

Old 04-02-02, 03:20 PM
jkcykon
Visiting Guest
Smokey,
Thanks for the quick reply. I did go into the menu and there is a selection called teletext. I had turned this off some time ago but when I turned it on similar text turned appeared on screen. I went through the help screens in the menu but it really does not explain how to delete old messages or clear the system. Any ideas on where I might find this information or where I might get an operators manual. I went to the Zenith website and requested this but the site was not very good and I suspect my request disappeared into the void.

Thanks again,
Jim Cykon

Old 04-03-02, 05:03 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning:

Suspicions confirmed. The owners manual should give you the information you need. If you need a new one, check out this
site:

http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

They have secure ordering, fast delivery, etc.

If they don't have the owner's manual, try a Service Manual. A very helpful item in case you decide to repair this machine.

Smokey

Old 04-03-02, 05:58 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Some further information:

Perhaps you are in the UK? Zenith has a teletext decoder built into it to receive data from stock markets, etc. This information is broadcast with the television signal.

If you are not active with TeleText, it might be a good idea to remove the decoder board from the set (using your new service manual) and disable it forever. Obviously, something is keying it on intermittantly. If you disabled it using the remote control and it continues to turn on (now and then) then there is a command fault in the set somewhere.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: