RCA 52 INCH Won't turn on

Old 04-28-02, 01:21 PM
RondaLee
Visiting Guest
RCA 52 INCH Won't turn on

Model # p52731wklg1

It just won't turn on. Nothing happened to cause this, it just won't turn on. I do not know if you need the following info or not.

I looked today, there is a sticker on the back, with shock warning, do not open, etc.. that says "VOLTS 120- WATTS (MAX) 240
HZ60."

I do not know how to check it with a meter, and is this something they have at the hardware store?

I am ignorant of technical terms concerning Television repair, so please be "gentle" when responding !

Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-02, 02:46 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Now, what really happens when you try to turn it on? Do you see any lights at all? Do you hear any "clicking" sounds?

Smokey

Old 04-28-02, 02:55 PM
RondaLee
Visiting Guest
RCA 52 INCH WON'T TURN ON

Nothing happens, no sounds of any kind. I tried the remote, and the "power" button on the front. It's as if it is not even plugged in.

We have all of our audio/video equipment plugged to a surge protecter, so we tried a different outlet, that we knew was working, still nothing. Tried the wall jack, with TV NO LONGER CONNECTED TO OUR OTHER COMPONENTS, Nothing.

RCA told me to leave it unplugged one hour, then try again. (It's been 45 minutes) EVEN if it works after an hour, I'd fear this was a temporary solution to an actual problem.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-02, 03:04 PM
RondaLee
Visiting Guest
RCA 52 Inch won't turn on

Okay, we decided it was close enought to an hour. My husband plugged it in, turned it on. He said he heard some kind of "squeaking" as if it were trying to do something, but nothing.

Old 04-29-02, 06:51 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

The problem you describe would lead me to the deflection circuits inside the set and would be inclined to check for a shorted HOT
(Horizontal Output Transistor). Second choice would be a bad filter capacitor in the supplies that feed the deflection circuits. This is not uncommon on this brand of set.

The problem definitely sounds like deflection circuits acting up.

Need a service manual? Try here:
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

For repairs parts, try Union Electronics at http://www.unionel.com/

And, thanks for the additional information. It's tough to troubleshoot one of these units when I can't see what it is doing.

Smokey