Lost a channel on TV

Old 05-21-02, 01:59 PM
sandklee
Visiting Guest
Lost a channel on TV

I have a 2 year old GE television (model 31GT720YX4). We use an antenna on the roof for local stations and dish for the others.

About 1 month ago, we suddenly were not able to pickup one of the local stations on this TV. We receive it fine on all our other TV's connected to the dish and antenna. We have tried to manually enter the station number but get only static. We tried using the auto search for channels, but it doesn't pick up anything for this channel. I also checked to be sure one of the kids hadn't accidentally locked out this channel using parental controls but that wasn't the problem either.

To us it seems that there must be something with the TV itself causing this since the others are fine with this channel. Any ideas?

Old 05-21-02, 05:27 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, sandklee:

Before we start tearing the back off the TV set and violating its innards, let's make sure the TV is at fault.

Any chance you can put another TV on that antenna link and see what happens?

The reason I am asking this is that I have had weird experiences with TV channels. A fellow drove a staple in around his TV lead- in wire and cancelled a channel. I spent two hours pulling staples until I found the right one. LOL!

Smokey

Old 05-21-02, 06:15 PM
sandklee
Visiting Guest
We have another TV that is connected to the same antenna (is that what you meant?). We can get that channel on it though it means everyone piles into my bed to watch NBC.

Old 05-22-02, 06:33 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good morning, sandklee:

Loosing one channel on a television set is rare, indeed. But not impossible. Again, though, let's make sure it is television set.

It is possible where the antenna connection is split to go to the two television sets that the splitter is at fault. Again, a staple around a television signal line from the splitter to the TV could be the culprit.

Got a VCR? Plug it into the antenna lead of the suspect set and connect it to the suspect set. Does the VCR tuner see the missing channel? If it does, then it's time to think about the set being the problem.

Alternative: leave the VCR in the line and use it's tuner. This is a lot less expensive than repairing the GE.

Smokey

Old 05-27-02, 07:48 PM
skybird
Visiting Guest
Go to the menu of the television and make sure that the tv is set to Antenna NOT CABLE. If the channel is on UHF and your TV is set for cable the TV will not recognize it. This will not affect your satellite dish. Everything will still work the same but that channel will magically appear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: