Zenith Sound no Pic.

Old 05-24-02, 06:36 PM
Sentry6
Visiting Guest
Zenith Sound no Pic.

Zenith 1997 model a50m84w. 50", sound no pic,you can hear the relay click on. was wondering if there were any quick things to check on this model, or common problem?, i know the low voltage module is sometimes trouble sum on this set. also want to add, picture went all shades of blue befor it went out.

Thanks for your help
Sentry

Old 05-25-02, 08:02 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, Sentry6:

The low voltage module is most likely not the case in this instance. That model Zenith had problems with the High Voltage/Focus block breaking down. Since you have no picture but have sound, I would concentrate on the High Voltage section.

Since the picture went all shades of blue, another good spot to check is the board on the back of the blue projection gun. These boards have had some problems in the past.

First check, though, is to make sure you have filaments in the projection tubes. If the tubes are not lit, then your theory about the low voltage module has merit.

Need a Service Manual? Suggest you try here:

http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

For Parts? Try Union Electronics at http://www.unionel.com

for Zenith repair parts and friendly service.

Smokey

Old 05-25-02, 11:33 AM
Sentry6
Visiting Guest
smokey thank you for the replay!! as always your a great help. i havent even cracked the set open, will open it up and check out whats you suggested. have a good holiday.

Sentry

Old 05-25-02, 03:51 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
We're here if you need us, Sentry. Good luck and good hunting!
Thanks for using DoItYourself.com. And, you, too, have a nice holiday weekend.

Smokey

Old 05-26-02, 03:46 PM
sentry5
Visiting Guest
more info

ok i finally got around to looking at it, the blue crt leaked onto the video module on the crt, no doubt the cause, the crt's are not lit, and there is high voltage, can you give me an idea at what i am looking at for cost of repair? im assuming it needs the blue crt resealed, low voltage module replaced (only appears to be one board in this set with everything integrated). blue module replaced, and convergence reset. also, was wondering the convergence on this set, how is it aligned? ie: with on screen or with an external tool.

again your help is appreciated.

Sentry

Last edited by sentry5; 05-26-02 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 05:33 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good evening, sentry5:
Usually I take the day off on holidays so it is unusual for me to be here. In your case, glad I did.

You're not going to like the numbers on that projection tube, Sentry. Prices range from $700 to $1000. Then there is cleaning and flushing of the projection tube cooling system. And, replacing the cooling fluid. That's another $100-150.

Want a piece of advice from an old technician? Save your money and put it into a new set. You may buy a year or two on the set if you have it repaired but in that time you can expect more failures. If the set is over nine years old, it has run it's predicted lifetime.

Think about it.

Smokey

Old 05-26-02, 05:59 PM
sentry5
Visiting Guest
Smokey again thank you!! the set only cost 850.00 orginally... so its easy to do the math, just incase i deside to stick it in a cornor and repair it myself, the only thing im not sure on is how the convergence is setup on this set. is there special equipment involved, or is it on screen?

again thank you for the quick reply!!

Sentry

Old 05-26-02, 06:12 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Get the Service Manual from the site I indicated. It has the set up procedures that you desire.

Usually you need a pattern generator but most of these sets come with that installed. The rest is patience. One adjustment affects another. A good technician can do it in 30 minutes. In a do-it-yourselfer situation, I would imagine three hours of fooling around, 4 cups of coffee, and a fifth of Jack Daniels. You may never get it done but with the Jack Daniels you won't care.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: