VCR - menu screen

Old 05-26-02, 12:32 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VCR - menu screen

I have a samsung vr3604 and i can't get the menu sreen to come on to do the programming.All the other funtions on the remote seem to work.

Old 05-26-02, 08:25 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Remote

Anything been spilled on the remote? Is there an indicator of some type to say the remote is working? You say that all the other functions are working so most likely the remote has failed. Some of the all in wonder remotes will work on your system but will probably not open up all of the menu functions. You can take the remote into a repair shop and ask them to test it. Most reputable repair shops will have a device to test remote control devices quickly and without charge. I did anyway. http://www.tritronicsinc.com/lookup_cs.htm or http://www.mcmelectronics.com/welcome.jhtml will have the remote. You will have to ask them to research it as they are super secret squirrel about their parts for some reason.

Old 05-26-02, 10:23 AM
R
I tested the remote on another samsung vcr and it worked on that one ,so it must be something in the vcr.

Old 05-26-02, 05:35 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
It appears the "character generator" has failed. Frankly, it is cheaper to replace the VCR than have it fixed.

Smokey

Old 05-26-02, 06:52 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Generator

Well Smokey beat me to it. Yea sounds like the chip that contains the data for the menu called the character generator has died. It should still play ok though. Tell me, does the clock and track info show up?

Old 05-26-02, 11:29 PM
R
It does play a tape alright and i can even change channels with it,but when i press the menu button nothing shows up although sometimes it will shut the power off.I use this vcr to get channels that my tv can't get,i first discovered it the other night when my power went off then came back on.There is no clock display either.Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-27-02, 07:01 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Dead

Yea the generator is dead. Play it till it dies then buy you a new one. Best Buy has stereo ones for under $100.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: