Toshiba Television 32"

Old 05-28-02, 09:07 PM
Danny8ch
Visiting Guest
Toshiba Television 32"

My 32" Toshiba TV model # CE32G15 is just 5 yrs old and has developed a loud snap, crackling, popping sound and a picture disruption with horizontal lines when this is happening. This can continue for hours and sometimes will stop. The cable box checked out ok and when I hooked up another TV to the cable, it was OK. I thought the TV would be trouble free for longer. Any ideas of what is causing this and if it would be an expensive repair? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-29-02, 07:05 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Good morning, Danny8ch:

Sounds like a bad ground on the picture tube aquadag is causing your problem.

The picture tube is coated with a metallic paint (aquadag) to bleed the ions off the glass of the picture tube while the set is in operation. Since the glass tube is subjected to voltages of 25-40,000 volts, the glass ionizes and charges much like a capacitor.
The outer shell of the glass is painted with a metallic paint and gounded to the chassis of the television set.

If the ground is bad, the glass will ionize to a point where the picture tube will arc to the chassis (the loud snap). Of course, when this happens, it disturbs not only the viewer but the set's electronics as well.

Open the back of the set with the set off. Check the grounding on the picture tube aquadag (should be a strap or spring surrounding the back of the picture tube). It may be dust that is interferring with the ground or a ground wire has become disconnected.

Smokey

Old 06-07-02, 05:48 AM
Danny8ch
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Smokey
I tried your suggestion and was hoping to find something obvious, but unfortunetley there was no loose ground that I could see. I cleaned as well as I could but the problem is still there. My next stop is to the repair shop. Thanks for your help

Old 06-07-02, 06:39 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Did you manage to locate the source of the arc?

Smokey

Old 06-07-02, 08:55 PM
Danny8ch
Visiting Guest
Actually I didn't think to turn on the set with the back cover off, but I will try tommorow with the lights out and see if I can pinpoint where it is arcing.

Old 06-08-02, 07:31 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

If you can pinpoint the source of the arc, that will give us a clue as to the cause and I can be a little more specific on the issue.

Smokey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: