Television Woes

Old 05-29-02, 08:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Television Woes

I have a sears television that has a line across middle of screen and black on top and bottom. Sound is fine. Any advisors out there
Old 05-29-02, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
The condition is vertical collapse and the most likely possibilities are: a defective vertical drive amplifier chip (usually mounted on one of the smaller metal heatsinks. When this amplifier goes bad, it is usually caused by one or two of the nearby electrolytic capacitors that are internally leaky. Also, if there is a straight line across the screen...then most likely the fusible resistor (which supplies the voltage to the amplifier) is almost certainly blown.

So, to sum it up... the parts that probably need replacement are: Vertical Drive Amplifier, Capacitors, Fusible Resistor.

If you're not familiar with working on'll probably need to obtain schematics to help you out.
Good Luck!
Old 05-29-02, 10:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Just curious. How old is the set? I haven't seen a set with the Sears brand name on it since the old Silvertones.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: