Cordless speakers?

Old 06-06-02, 10:38 AM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cordless speakers?

I'm moving into a split level house and want to be able to hear my stereo on both the upper and lower floors. I've heard there is some kind of device that you plug into the electric socket that allows you to put speakers in other rooms and still pick up whatever is playing on the main system. Does anyone know about this, how much it costs, where to find it? Or is there a better way (other than a boom box!)

Old 06-06-02, 12:19 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Good Afternoon, Lefty3:

I don't recommend anything that uses the AC line as a transmission device. Too many chances for problems and the specs are mostly hype.

As an alternative, I would suggest that you explore the wireless technology that is available. The reason is that you are independent enough in speaker location that you don't have to rely on an electrical outlet being there. Second reason is that 900 MHz technology has improved to the point where actual fidelity can be achieved. You can take them to your patio for a party, put them in the garage while you're tinkering, etc. Very versatile. Most of them have a range of 150 feet from the source.

Several sources carry these units and recommend you explore a little. One spot has a few available:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...9ebe819a82715c

Second source is Radio Shack. They have a decent set of speakers with decent fidelity, 3 transmission channels to avoid phones and baby monitors, and they sell for $230. These are their 40-5021 speakers. Comes complete with transmitter.

Of course, nothing beats hard wiring to the amplifier but it is a reasonable alternative.

Of course, the forum is open if anyone has other suggestions.

Smokey

Old 06-06-02, 03:35 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Volume

That's why the volume control has more than one setting. If it's too loud your too old...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: