the growing black band

Old 06-19-02, 10:52 AM
bedazelme
Visiting Guest
the growing black band

I hope someone and tell me why my tv has developed a big black band across the top of the picture. It started about 1 inch wide 6 or so months ago but has started to grow to nearly 3 1/2 inches now and is starting to take the top off some of the more important information when you try to read the news screen! Not to mention the tops of many of my grandchildrens favorite cartoon pals heads! The tv is an Emerson ,25''and must be at least 11 years old if not older and has been fantastic until now! Any ideas? I hope!

Old 06-19-02, 02:26 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Welllll...

[size=2] That is Horizontal rollover and will need to be tech repaired. Unless you can handle it then I will attempt to dig out a schematic for it and try to troubleshoot it. How old is the set? Brand? Model? Do you have any electronics experiance? My opinion is if it's older than 7 years then I would consider replacement. If not and it has never been repaired before, fix it this time. Next time it dies dig a hole for it. [/size]

Old 06-19-02, 04:23 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
bedazelme, Sounds like you have vertical collaspe and vertical rollover on the upper half of the screen due to leaky electrolytic capacitors in the vertical circuit. Big Mike, no doubt their are some cracked, burnt and discolored solder joints on that circuit board.

Fred

Old 06-19-02, 04:38 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Tomato, patato...

It's vertical colapse? Thought it would be Horz. Told I didn't know much about TV. When he mentioned covering up the other part of the pic I thought rollover.

Old 06-19-02, 06:05 PM
bedazelme
Visiting Guest
black line

I used to help my dad work on tv's when I was young and tv's were a little simpler, you know tube did not lite so we replace it that kind of stuff simple circuits and such. If it' something simple I might try to fix it. So is it something a novice could look for or should I just take it to the shop, just don't want to be misled into more than I need by over zelous repair tech who needs extra cash, been there done that!! NO fun. Anyway what do I look for so I can at least try and fix it if and if I can"t then at least I will be educated enough not to be mis-diagnosed by the repair shop and end up paying way to much It's a good set and I really want to keep it going as long as I can. These new ones are just throw-away crap as far as I'm concerned not ment to live more than a few years. This one was meant to last and I hope it will!The model number is M5251D.Can you help or is it off to the shop we go!

Old 06-19-02, 11:50 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
bedazelme, Follow Big Mikes first post. Let a television service tech handle this problem. He has the test equipment needed to troubleshoot and repair this circuit. I can tell from your post this television means alot to you so, if you know of a shop, and you trust their work, let them do the repairs. Also, whats the date of manufacture of this television? This imformation is located on the back cover.

Fred

Old 06-20-02, 02:30 PM
bedazelme
Visiting Guest
thanks guys your input always helps and just so you know it was made in 1986. Good run for a set ,huh! combo tv monitor with quad speaker output. and never a problem until this. thanks again, later

Old 06-20-02, 03:33 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Bedazelme, I remember that television, that was emersons early version of a 25" table top television. It has a four speaker sound system on the both sides of the picture tube with excellent sound and fancey speaker grilles. It also came with the standard 30 or 35 channel cable band. Sharp came out with theirs the following year.

Fred

Old 06-24-02, 07:50 AM
bedazelme
Visiting Guest
yea, that's the one cable ready and all. Now I hope you understand why I like this tv so much, and it's nowhere near the end of it's lifespan. I see quite a few years of service left. I have looked at new sets and haven't see one with what mine has, they all seem to be cheaply put together and of poor quality. I know there must be something built nowadays that is made to last longer than the length of the average cold. ha--ha.. I don't want to accept the new average lifespan..way to short for a large investment, so I'll just keep fixing the one I have....maybe go for a record especially since it's always on almost 20 out of 24 hrs between my hours and then the kind and the cartoon network!! Anyway thanks again now I have to look for a reliable and honest repair teck, another impossible thing to find nowadays. Wish me luck, later and thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: