Pioneer Projection TV

Old 06-25-02, 07:50 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
Pioneer Projection TV

Having trouble with my television. Can get a picture if playing video or dvd. Get no picture on TV mode. Used to take a few minutes to come on but now picture will not appear. Progressively got worse. I was told by a none professional that the capacitors have dried up. Appreciate any help.

Old 06-25-02, 08:38 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, What's the model number and date of manufacture on this television? This imformation is located on the back cover.

Fred

Old 06-26-02, 05:38 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying. The model is SD-P5065. I am not sure of production date as of yet. I flush mounted the TV in a wall. I am working on taking it apart now.

Old 06-26-02, 06:33 PM
Lynell
Visiting Guest
Question

I am having the same problem. I have a SD-5053 Pioneer Projection TV. All modes work except when using the TV tuner. I saw on another site that it could be the capacitors, but not sure which ones. I am about to take the TV apart as well. Post info if you find a solution. I will do likewise.

Old 06-26-02, 06:40 PM
Lynell
Visiting Guest
The actual model is SD-P5053. The unit is about 11 years old.

Old 06-27-02, 12:36 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, Check for multiple cracked solder joints on the sweep/power supply board. Their should be a diagram inside that tells which board is which.

Lynell, Right behind the uhf/vhf tuner is an (i.f.) pack in a metal case. Remove it and replace two .47 mfd capacitors at 50 volts. Reinstall pack.

Post back if you have anymore questions.

Fred

Old 06-28-02, 07:10 PM
Lynell
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, I have access to the circuitry of the tv. Is the tuner the metal box that the coax plugs into. Would the caps be located inside of this box. If so, it may be challenging in removing this box or getting it open. Any suggestions?

Old 06-28-02, 07:41 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Lynell, Yes thats the tuner but, what were concern with is the i.f. pack thats enclosed in a metal case behind the tuner.

Fred

Old 06-28-02, 08:31 PM
Lynell
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, There is not a metal box located behind the tuner case. Everything is hardwired directly to the circuit board. The only movable part is the two board unit that the vid1, vid2 A/V composite (RCA) jacks plug into. Since there is not a metal case with the two 50V/.47mF caps, what would you suggest as the next step. The main circuit board that the tuner is attached is screwed into the base of the TV frame. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-02, 12:32 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG. Thanks for the input. could you tell me where to find the capacitors in my TV. I have it all apart and can't find any cracks in the solder joints. Just think that I can try replacing the capacitors. The model again is SD-P5065-K. Also I went to the pioneer site to see if I could get a repair manual on it and they say that model doesn't exist. Is there an alternative route for this info. Thanks again

Old 06-30-02, 01:16 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, I'm not surprised to hear that pioneer says the model does not exsist.

www.threasurechest corp.com
has the schematic for $25.50+4.00s&h

Fred

Old 06-30-02, 02:06 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG. I pulled a board on the TV I suspect That the capacitors are the right ones. There are four in a row, two 50 volt and two 35 volt. If I send a picture can you tell me if they are the ones in question? Thanks

Old 06-30-02, 10:10 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, Make that: www.treasurechestcorp.com

Before we get to far ahead of ourselves lets do one or two more checks here. Re-install that board(s), connect the cable or antenna to the tuner(i'm going to assume you have sound and you can hear the channels change),leave the back off, turn the television on. See if the filments are lit in the necks of the picture tubes(should be three orange color lights one per picture tube neck).

Post back and let me what you found.

Fred

Old 07-01-02, 12:05 AM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, I have no sound, no picture on tuner only. VCR and DVD are perfect. The picture on tuner just thumps on and off. You can't really see anything. The only way you can tell that the channel is changing is the thumping noise goes away for two seconds then continues. I will put the boards back tomorrow and check the tubes. Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

Old 07-01-02, 08:29 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, You would'nt by chance have an I.F. pack behind the tuner?

Fred

Old 07-01-02, 12:04 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, I have two small metal boxes but they don't appear to have any large capacitors. It looks as if one has a bunch of springs and the other is a small board

Old 07-06-02, 02:01 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, The capacitors that usually dry up affecting picture in tuner mode, Which board might I find Those capacitors? AV I/O- PINP- Y/C sep assembly, Tuner- Video assembly, Dol. Pro. Mod, or Power supply assembly.

Old 07-06-02, 02:03 PM
JD2
Visiting Guest
FreddyG, To answer your previous question, There is an IF pack

Old 07-06-02, 02:56 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
JD2, Scroll up to my post 6/27/02~ 2:36am.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: