Wiring cable to all bedrooms

Old 07-15-02, 11:21 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring cable to all bedrooms

I am preparing to wire all my upstairs rooms for cable. I am working on mapping it all out right now and I have a few questions I think you wonderful folks can help with.

We have digital cable w/boxes in 3 rooms. only one room actually has a jack in it! upstairs we have them running down the halls and around the doors - (pain in the butt!)
So, I want to run the upstairs lines through the attic, down the walls and into jacks. While I am up there (in the attic) I thought I would go ahead and wire the other 2 rooms so that they would be ready if /when we want to use cable in that room. We also want to move the TV downstairs into another room that does not have a jack in it yet - that one I will do through the basement.

So, in a nut shell I have 4 rooms upstairs, 2 rooms on the main floor and one room in the basement that I want to have jacks in. I have an amplifier in the garage where the main line comes in. that has RF in, DC in and one jack out on it. This one jack has a splitter (1 to 3) that feeds each level. and then we have a splitter upstairs for the 2 rooms up there. I know that I want to use as few splitters as possible.

I am thinking this . . get an amplifier with 2 output jacks . . .bring one cable to the attic and split it into four for the bedrooms. . bring the other cable to the basement and split into three - one for basement, two for the main floor rooms.

How does this sound? Do I need more amplification in there somewhere? Am I missing something somewhere? Any advice/tips/links etc. would be appreciated because this is my first time ever wiring a house like this.

Thanks,

Old 07-15-02, 07:51 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Wire

Use a good wire, Belden is some good stuff. It actually sounds like you have everything you need right now. I would wire up the way you say with just using the one amp. If you have noise then I would go with the second amp. You do know by the way, that the signal you are getting is not actually digital... The digital part is for the program menu. The cable companies like to say it's a digital signal and in part they are right but the actual video is still analog...

Old 07-16-02, 01:07 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
trippergril, Are you looking for an easier and neater way to route those cables to attic?

Fred

Old 07-16-02, 07:17 AM
T
Thanks

Thanks Big Mike for your help - I got a roll at Home Depot - can't remember the brand - it is R6 - I am crimping the ends on and I am wondering about all the loosebraided stuff right below the outer sheath ? Do I cut it off or fold it overand then press the connector down over it?

FreddyG - any advice you have would be helpful - I am not looking forward to climbing around in there!

Old 07-16-02, 07:30 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Trim...

Fold it over and let the "F" connector slide over the braid. You can trim any left over off with a small pair of dikes or sissors.

Old 07-16-02, 09:36 AM
T
Thanks again Mike!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: