Credit card machines?

Old 06-02-06, 04:41 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Credit card machines?

I own a small side business selling hot tubs. I would like to get a credit card machine to increase sales. I’m planning on going with a card processing company through BJ’s wholesale club. They have a small setup fee, no monthly fees, and charge about 1.5 percent. This is a completely new are for me and I’m not sure what to look for when shopping for a terminal or processing service. I’m going to buy a used credit card machine to save money.
What should I look for and stay away from when shopping for a card machine?
Are there certain things to look for or questions to ask before signing up with a processing service?
Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated as I am totally clueless on this subject.

Old 06-02-06, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Just curious, but how often would you be needing to process a credit card - couple of times a day, several times a week? Reason I ask is that we take credit cards for towing without any machines. Our precessor offers touch tone processing and we just run the card by keying in information right from our cell phones. Among other things we can process anytime, anywhere. Takes maybe two minutes. Not all processors offer the touch-tone option so it would take some shopping.

Old 06-02-06, 10:43 AM
H
I will not be processing very often at all, maybe once a week. I need something with a very low processing rate, because I’m selling high priced items with little markup. I’m also looking for a processing company with no monthly minimums. I have found several companies online, but there are so many things like hidden fees to look out for. I feel like I am shopping for another mortgage.

Old 06-03-06, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The Verifone 3200 is a good machine, and most processors support it. The rate you are charged will be a lot less for card swiped transactions than for phone authorizations, but it will take a will to see a return on the cost of the machine. I've seen them on ebay for as little at $75 in new condition.

You're still looking at 2-3% per transaction though.

Old 06-04-06, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm with Tow Guy - we don't have a machine, we call the purchase in for authorization. It's an automated process and takes about a minute. If you want a machine, talk to your company first to find out which ones are compatible with their system, you'll be surpised how many aren't.

kathann voted this post useful.
Old 07-12-06, 10:58 AM
C
Eliot is a nice brand.

Personal website removed from signature line.

Last edited by mattison; 07-12-06 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 04:57 AM
D
Similar Needs

I too am looking for a machine similar to what your needs are. I figure I might use it once or twice a month maybe for purchaces of 2,000 and up.

The "phone in" way you describe sounds good too, do any of you have contact info or more information or direction for me in finding more info on that. I don't necessarily NEED a machine on a desk, but i know some of these transactions are going to need to be made without the actual card in my possession. (people calling in their card number to me etc.)

thank you,

dharam

Old 08-17-06, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
If you happen to be in the southeast, this is who we use:

http://www.ibbfla.com/home/default.asp

Other areas you'll need to do some research. Most card processing companies only deal with electronic processing, but I'm sure there would be some in your area offering touch-tone processing,

Old 08-17-06, 10:16 AM
you really need to set up the merchant account first and then get equipment they will support

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: