Imo

Old 08-13-06, 10:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Imo

independant marketing organization.
How does one apply/register for one if you want to start your own thing.
I am with oneright now but feel that I can do better if I do this on my own instead of where I am as far as commission level and all.

Old 08-14-06, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
While I can't advise on sales marketing, I have run my own painting business. Many think being self employed is a 'walk in the park' [not saying you do] Self employed persons tend to work longer hours than they would if they were an employee in the same business.

Most new business's fail because of lack of planning and resources for when the money isn't coming in. Before jumping in on your own you should do a lot of planning and have means to survive the times when the money coming in does't exceed expenses.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going out on your own, just want you to be well prepared so that when you do you will be able to succeed

Old 08-14-06, 12:38 PM
R
I understand completely what you are saying.............COMPLETLY.
I went into the ins biz as a mortgage insurance broker back in Dec 05. I have hit a few of those months where cash flow was a problem. I was not told this by my upline. I thought I was going to have to go back in the work force but have made it through. Although I still have months that cash flow is the prob. I was wanting to do this ALL by myself. I am at a 60% commission rate with these guys but would rather be at 100% all to myself.
*sigh*
The dream of being self employed and finacial secured it not an easy goal to accomplish..................thats what I am learning.

Old 08-17-06, 09:09 PM
B
I will be happy to offer any advice I can.............

are you trying to service p&c lines or la&h (or both)

Old 08-18-06, 11:22 AM
B
commission splits

The 60% you are currently receiving is very fair. By the time you factor in rent, utilities, E&O insurance, payroll, benefits, etc you will be lucky if you end up with 25% of the commission as profit as an agency owner. My advise to you would be to present yourself to a reputable insurance agency as a producer and in leau of the 60% commission ask for 30% and a share in equity or a reasonable expense account. Not to mention, insurance carriers are very leary about opening a new account with a small start up insurance broker. Insurance guy...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: