New business venture

Old 02-17-08, 10:24 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New business venture

I'm semi retired but have been in business for myself for the last 7 years as a handyman. I understand the profit/loss basics and how to make a profit after cost.

I grew up in a gardening and home canning environment and I have done my own home canning for about 20 years. I usually give away jars of salsa and pickled beets, etc to some customers, part of a gift basket at the holidays, etc. At the encouragement of friends and family I am debating opening up a product line of home canned goods.

My purpose for posting is to ask for input on what may be required in the way of permits, filings, insurance etc. for selling home canned goods. I also have an option of selling a small line of baked goods or candies as well at a later time.

I'd appreciate any experienced input.

Thx

Old 03-13-08, 12:32 PM
J
You would have to register yourself w/ your local gov. agency: City, county, etc.
You register under your own name as a DBA business--
Doing Business As: your name
You need a good insurance policy because lawyers love to sue ( if some one gets a belly ache from your product )
You have to file an income tax return: federal also state if you have a state income tax.
That's about it unless you start hiring employees-then it gets a lot more complicated..........
Good luck

Old 03-13-08, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Somewhere along the line the Health Department will probably be involved.

Old 03-13-08, 04:30 PM
T
Thanks guys.

j howard, I do all that now.

tow guy, I figured the same thing.

After a few calls I found out I have to have a seperate kitchen-I'm not building another kitchen. No pets allowed in your home either-and I'm not giving my golden away. It also cost a minimum of $200 a year just for the health dept. license. I'm sure there's more but I'm not doing it. I wasn't planning on competing with Heintz or Hunts, just wanted to do a little sideline business.

Sometimes the system is designed to keep people out, not let people in. I'll just continue life the way it is.

Old 03-13-08, 05:20 PM
J
Somethings are best done quietly....
I'm sure you have a lot of friends...................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: