remodeling business

Old 09-11-08, 08:25 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remodeling business

I live in Arkansas and I am interested in starting my own residential building/remodeling business. Does anyone know what types of permits, licenses, qualifications, etc, that I would need to get in order to do this? OR does anyone know of a website that I could go to to get this information from?

Old 09-12-08, 07:03 PM
B
It's going to vary by state and locality and by what type of work you do.

Check with your town/state.

Old 09-12-08, 09:16 PM
F
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Check with your town/state.
I don't know what this means.....WHO exactly in my town/state would I need to check with?

Old 09-13-08, 06:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Most anywhere, you will need at minimum a business license. Some localities may require additional licenses; electrical, plumbing, etc.[which require passing a test] Permits also vary. Generally minor repairs don't require permits but your local permit office always has the final say. They would probably be the best place to start.

Old 09-21-08, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My company, heck just me and 3 helpers, do remodeling, repair and restoration (not fire or water, old home stuff). I filed as an LLC with our Secretary of State; our county/city doesn't require a license for this type work, since we aren't doing new construction. You will have to permit each job in certain localities, and in some (like ours) only if you change the footprint of the building (adding a room or deck). I always run projects by our local inspector to make sure he is OK with what we are doing, and solicit his advice as far as what he will expect. It makes him feel good and makes my sign offs alot easier.

Old 02-20-09, 12:48 AM
The best answers to your questions come from the Arkansas State Contractors Board

CLSI Contractor License Service - National is a national testing company. On their website they state "Arkansas requires a Commercial or Residential Contractor License. Arkansas will not accept a notarized statement over 90 days old. To bid and work on construction projects in Arkansas that cost $20,000 or more, you must have a contractor's license."

Hope this helps.

Dougbert
--If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.--

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: