e-book or printed book

Old 04-01-15, 06:17 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
e-book or printed book

Hi,
I have been planning to publish my book as an e-book, but from what I'm reading on security I'm now considering just printing a few hundred copies at a time and letting the buyers pay the difference. It is a technical book with a specific market so not something where I expect to sell a million copies. I'll leave that to Mr King a few miles up the road, when he is home.

Am I too overly concerned about theft? Once someone breaks the security and starts distributing my work for free or selling it, I don't see where it would be financially possible to stop them.

Any thoughts on e-book security and its risks or the choice between a print or electronic product?

There will be a web page associated with this information for Q&A and one thought is to limit access to that site to those who have a registered e-book. And since e-books are less expensive, hopefully many wouldn't find it worth the time to pirate a copy.

Input much appreciated
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I'm old school but the more technical the subject, the more likely I'm going to want to read a hard copy than an electronic one.

Old 04-01-15, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
If your book is technical and appeals to a very small market I think that is your best defense. In a smaller group or market someone simply making a copy and giving it to a friend is a real possibility. There is software that can crack almost everything but in your small customer group how likely is it that one user would want to do that for another?

In many markets in Asia you can buy CD/DVD's of popular books in electronic format. Many seem to be made from scan & OCR of printed books so I don't think being printed is much protection against piracy on a global scale.

Will you have photos or illustrations? That is one area where I think printed book still hold an advantage. The Kindle still isn't great for photos but tables are rather better. Still I find find it quicker and easier to flip to pictures & tables in a book than going through the menus or whatever on an E reader to find them then get back to my original place in the book.

Old 04-01-15, 12:10 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Thanks ss and PD.
PD, I will have a good number of figures which I had planned of cross referencing to avoid duplicating them in different sections, so you are correct that holding onto the place you were reading while you quickly reference back would be easier in print.

ss I also agree with print for technical information as I constantly make notes and highlight as I read.

I also read that if you make an e-book really secure it then may be limited to a single platform, like I know what I'm talking about (not). What are the different platforms and what do people use?

Bud

Old 04-01-15, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
The most popular by far are the Kindle and Nook with the Kindle probably being the most common. Then there are tablets like the Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy. The nice thing about a printed book is there is only one format but I think it's pretty easy to convert from one to the other. I picked up some software in China that converts everything to work on my Kindle.