Laundry room on 2nd floor

Old 09-23-02, 10:00 AM
tomkoi
Visiting Guest
Question Laundry room on 2nd floor

A few years ago, I moved my laundry room to the 2nd floor of my two story house. I converted an unused 4th bedroom. I put in a shut off valve, used the no leak water connectors, put in a drain with a "catch" pan under the washer. Just recently my washer broke. The service man saod the reason was my flooring was not right. He suggested I move it back into the basement. Does this make sense?? I have seen houses with the laundry room on the 2nd floor. Are they reinforcing the floor somehow? Please help!?!

Old 09-23-02, 07:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tomkoi,

It doesn't make sense that the service man said move it to the basement. If you had a pan put in with a drain and the pan is level and the washer is level, there should be no problem.

What exactly broke on the washer and to cause a suggestion to move it back to the basement?

No additional structural requirements are needed for a washer when they are placed on 2nd floor. It appears that what you had done was proper and safe to avoid water damage in case of a problem.

Do you have an old washer and there is suspect that something is going to cause a major problem?

Let us know, curious....

Old 09-24-02, 09:06 AM
tomkoi
Visiting Guest
My washer is relatively new, 2 years old. A plastic 'bearing' broke, between the motor and the drive. The serviceman said that it was out of balance, caused by the wood subfloor. He said the concrete basement floor would be better. But of you are telling me no other stuctuaral support is needed, Then I am really confused. He also said, by leaving it there it will be prone to breaking down again. This was a SEARS repairman. At this point all I can do is try it again.

thanks,
Tom

Old 09-25-02, 05:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tomkoi,

Out of balance washing machine is caused by 1 thing, clothes not properly balanced within the washer. A wood floor or concrete floor doesn't remove this problem. No additional reinforcement of the wood joists will improve this either.

The pan that was installed, was it installed securely as I would hope so with the drain pipe attached? Is the washer level? The slightest off balance will effect the unit when in spin mode.

If so, the best I can offer is to make sure that when the washer goes into the spin cycle, once it starts to go off balance, correct the problem.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: