Echo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o In Our New Home

Old 11-23-03, 06:50 AM
Georgia Girl
Visiting Guest
Question Echo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o In Our New Home

We have an open floor plan with 23 ft. ceilings in three locations where there is either wood flooring or tile flooring. The echo is terrible. What can we do about this?

Old 11-23-03, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Georgia Girl

Your questions is very unique and equally as valid to get resolved. However, the question would not have been replied to in the non interactive forum group of topics, since replies cannot be posted to questions.

To better serve you and have our professional offer you helpful suggestions, advice and possible solutions, I moved your questions into this forum topic.

Old 11-23-03, 03:07 PM
Grumpy
Visiting Guest
I can speculate...

The first and cheapest thing I would try is more plush. Couches and similiar plus items absorb sound, this is what it took in my own small condo, but the echo was terrible until I bought some throw pillows, area rug, and fabric curtains.

The more expensive solution may be something I saw on Bob Villa. It is acustic plaster. It is for piano rooms and the like... It applies just like plaster and has sound dampening properties to it.

Old 11-24-03, 05:35 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the things Grumpy suggested don't do the trick, there are sound absorbing panels we specify on our commercial projects. They are a sound absorbing material wrapped with fabric. Fabric choices, panel shapes and sizes almost unlimitted, but square or rectangular most cost effective. If you have an artistic flair, you can do some really nice things with these panels.

But try furniture, draperies, etc. first. You need soft surfaces to absorb sound and stop echo.

Bruce

Old 11-24-03, 06:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The advice you've gotten above is good. I would add only that irregular surfaces are the next best thing to absorbers. Getting something up high will complement the soft furniture. A tall armoire, for example, or soffits near the ceiling, will help a little.

Old 12-03-03, 08:37 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
Cool Two words

Hanging Tapestries.

Old 12-03-03, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dsiegris,

That seems the best advice yet, color and texture with excellent results!

Nice thing this is changeable at anytime!

Simple 2 words!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: