Second floor

Old 01-06-04, 05:59 AM
inkards
Visiting Guest
Question Second floor

I am looking into building up my house, put a second story for the master bedroom and a bathroom.
My house was build in 1957 of brick (4 x 8.5 x 2.5)and the roof has a pitch of 1 foot for every 10 feet, have not figure out pitch in inches yet, and it is 1056 square feet.
I know that a lot of things will need to be consider, I need to know first, which material for beams will be best to support the weight for the spand, outside walls measurements are 44 x 24,
so, Is wood better than metal?
Also I will be remodeling the existing floor so lower walls could be used as support for heavy areas upstairs (bathtub).
Any suggestions will be appreciated

Old 02-13-05, 04:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
inkards,

The best thing to clear span the 24' is TJI truss joists. You will need to have a local enginerr run calculations with regards to the existing footings to see if they will support the additional weight of another floor load and wall load.

If the footings will not support the load you will then need an engineer to design point loads down to the foundation to bring the upper floor loads to specific locations so that you can reinforce the foundation in those locations.

This is not a simple answer as it is very site specific job specific. Sorry I could not be more help.

Good luck.

Brian Garrison
General Contractor/Professional Building Designer

Old 02-25-05, 06:31 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When planning the remodel on paper get advice about getting the heating and cooling to the second floor. Someone is going to have to perform load calculations for the heating and cooling, size the ductwork and see if the system can be zoned so first and second stories can be automaticly zoned to hold the same temperature on both levels. A good site to look at is
www.HVAC-consult.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: