walkout basement home cheaper?

Old 02-24-04, 10:17 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
walkout basement home cheaper?

Looking at waterfront property on a slope. Can I save anything on building a one story 1500 sq ft home over top a walkout basement which also has 1500 sq ft?

Old 02-25-04, 05:06 AM
Thank you for your inquiry. At this point, you have not given us enough information to give you an informed decision. You asked can you save money. Save money in relation to what ? come back with complete details and maybe we can help you.

Old 02-28-04, 09:10 AM
Like Jack said it's INFO INFO That we need here. Ill say this as most of the homes we do are just what you are asking about.So will you save money this way yes------- but it will cost you more. Its all in what you want. We do some so you have a front door from the road and then on the lakeside another full 2 story home with front door on that side. Also instead of a center beam put a center stud wall so you can put doors where you want when you put rooms there later or now. Do a 10' wall for the basement now . So we have more room for the ducts pipes and stuff there.
Then with the drain tile on the outside of the footing we also add one inside it all around and out of the home . This way we are sure of a dry basement.

So yes it can save you ----- but what do you want. you can get a 3000sq ft home for less per sq ft than the 1500 sq ft home cost per ft

ED

Old 02-29-04, 10:58 PM
N
Okay - I'm on a budget of 150,000 with land, septic and well all included. From the local builders we've talked to 10,000 will go to septic and 5,000 for well. Down to 135,000. After land hopefully down to 100,000. The land is sloped down toward the river/lake and I thought a finished walkout basement would be the perfect solution. The builders average price is $85/sq ft and that includes the basement. So we found a nice plan which is 1200+ sq ft x $85 comes to 102,000. I know this is a very small house but with the finished basement it is great. Right now all we need is the first floor finished, over time I can drywall, run electric, and floor the basement. On avereage how much would it be to raise the basement to 10 ft high and to plumb a basement bath

Old 03-01-04, 07:21 AM
It looks like you are doing a very good job on cost there . Just stay with it. $85 a sq is in the ball park for where im at.You have to find out cost for where you are. Id say for sure go the 10'walls in the basement .The roughin for the down stairs bath down there now. The floor should be in the cost now ED

Old 03-07-04, 07:47 AM
Nosoup4you,

If you have the plans, ask for options on the overall price. Taller lower level walls, rough in of basement bath, etc.

You should prepare some specs that will be submitted to your builders for bidding so that you know where you stand, especially with pricing within your area. We could give you lots of prices but nothing that would be guaranteed.

Even the $85.00 per sq. ft. price is considered a "Basic" guide but that is all. Once you start specifying everything out, the costs will increase based upon your desires.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: