Sewer Easement

Old 03-25-04, 06:04 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer Easement

I live in NJ, and am purchasing a house with a septic system. The neighbor has a sewer line. What is the price range that I could estimate for purchasing an easement into his sewer line? And what would be the estimated cost for attaching to the sewer?

Old 03-25-04, 07:10 PM
C
It would probably be cheaper to keep the septic tank.

Tap fees for the sewer itself around here are $500 - $1000.

I imagine that you could negotiate anything to tie into his line if the plumbing code would permit such a thing. Then the question of maintenance of the line comes to the fore.

Old 03-25-04, 07:31 PM
F
500 to 1k is not a lot, considering a new septic system can cost 20k. Right?

Old 03-26-04, 03:57 AM
The very first thing to do is to check with your local Water and Sewer Department and see if they allow someone to tap into another persons sewer line. In most of the country, this is a big NO, NO. Each person usually has to have their own private sewer line from their house to the trunk line. So, check first. Good Luck

Old 12-12-04, 07:11 PM
ronni_e
Visiting Guest
Jack is right. It all depends on how big the pipe is your neighbor has ran that you want to tap in to. Generally if its a regular lateral its only 4" in diameter. Alot of times you can negotiate a sewer easement for free. Just speak to your public works department about the process and requirements of a sewer easement. You would want to get it noted on your plot plan and/or on the plat that is recorded.

Alot of times where I live you can negotiate the easement with no cost as long as you sign an agreement saying you will repair the ground to its original condition and will do so again in the future need you have to dig up the line.

If you can get it done It will probably be cheaper and overall just better than the septic tank system

Old 12-12-04, 07:33 PM
Ronnie,

If you didn't notice, the thread has been answered properly and was done so back in March of this year! A little late to be responding to this one, don't you think?

Read the dates first, contribute only if you can.

Just some thoughts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: