Moving to a shack

Old 09-11-04, 05:39 PM
dalbert_b
Visiting Guest
Moving to a shack

OK, I have property in the midwest, I'll be moving there next year.

I'll have a portable electric generator, a camp stove and a couple or three coolers. The "Shack" (12 X 10) is wired for electricity, and does have phone connection. However, no supply from power company.

Since a phone would be fastest, I though I'd get that started. Operate off a generator till springtime and then????

I'd be working of course, mail address and such...

Anything else I should look at, consider???

OK, Moddys, move this if you deem it appropiate.

Old 09-12-04, 01:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dalbert_b,

Not sure what you are asking so moving it to where is really a good question. I guess I would reconsider what you are thinking of doing. The question I have is simple, what are the reasons for moving into a shack over the winter time of all things?

Don't know if you are confessing or running away from something but this seems over the top from a rational standpoint. If you have a question that we could answer, please by all means ask it. This venture you have planned seems like your going on an extended deer hunting trip with no gun!

Old 09-12-04, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Sounds like something I'd like to do..........................for a week.

Considerations: Water, toilet, bathing, heat, access, snowclearing, refrigeration, fuel cost for generator, the fact that consumer generators are only designed for short term emergency use and won't last long under continuous duty, large batteries for when the novelty of camp lights wears off.
There's more, but I guess it's obvious that I'm the second one to wonder what the whole story is.

In my opinion, ditch the phone idea and get power to the place and use a cell phone if service is available.
Also, another place to post this MIGHT be Hiking, Camping and Backpacking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: