Ut oh where's the plumbing?

Old 01-12-05, 08:49 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ut oh where's the plumbing?

Want to build my first house have looked on internet for plans but they don't seem to come with any plumbing or hvac drawings now what do I do? Will I need these drawings to get a building permit? I don't know about guessing where they should go sounds like I may screw up when putting hole in floor for waste pipe for toilet etc. How can I take care of this problem on the cheap? Please help.

Old 01-17-05, 06:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Often the plumbing, electrical and HVAC drawings are included in the plans package after you give them your money. The preview plans generally do not include all the details to keep it simple and make it more work to copy their designs.

Check with your plans company before buying to make sure you understand what you will be receiving.

In my area of the country electrical and plumbing plans are quite minimal for the permit process, and HVAC plans are not required. Most "in the wall" electrical and plumbing details are specified by the building code so the plans often only show the locations of fixtures (lights, toilets, sinks), outlets and switches.

Old 01-20-05, 11:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
noroomsforme,

Normally in a standard set of stock plans they do not show plumbing schematics. The plans show locations of fixtures and in some cases the walls are thickened to allow for vents. It is similar to electrical plans which show switch, light and outlet locations but do not show the actual wire runs. As far as mechanical plans normally the register locations and cold air returns are shown on the plan as well as equipment location and power supplies. I have only seen full plumbing and mechanical plans in commercial aplications.

Hope this answers your question.

Brian Garrison
General Contractor/Professional Building Designer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: