How much per square foot for building additions

Old 07-25-06, 06:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much per square foot for building additions

I plan on buillding an addition on my house maybe either 1200 sqft two-story or about 750 sqft single story. I also live in Canada. I need a general dollar value per square foot. Remember there is existing services and there will be no basement. Any educated guesses will be appreciated. -Shawn

Old 07-26-06, 05:39 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnyc
I plan on buillding an addition on my house maybe either 1200 sqft two-story or about 750 sqft single story. I also live in Canada. I need a general dollar value per square foot. Remember there is existing services and there will be no basement. Any educated guesses will be appreciated. -Shawn
You're asking a impossible to answer question without tons more information. The best way to get what you're looking for is to get a couple of free estimates from remodelers in your area. If you're planning a DIY project - you'll need to sit down, sketch out the addition - and start adding up materials - and throw an extra 20% on top for missed items/contingencies...

Old 07-26-06, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shawnyc,

I agree with thezster that you ask a loaded question. Not only is the price based on what your local labor rates are, but on what materials are available. Is the project going to impact the existing area and if so how much? is engineering going to be necessary due to open ceilings, large spans etc... In Sonoma County, California I tell my clients between $200-$300 a foot for addition/remodel work as the per square foot price goes up due to scale of economy and depending on what rooms are being done (is it bedroom with carpet only, is it kitchen with granite tops). In new construction here the price is $150-$300 per foot depending on the finishes. We have high permit fees (new construction single family residence $28,000 plus). If I drive 1 hour south the price goes up, if I go 1 hour north the price drops.

For your project I would ask friends in the area who have had work done what the costs were. I would sketch my ideas on paper and then I would then check with the building department to see what permit costs would be, check with the planning department to make sure you are legal to add on in the way that you would like. I would then do as thezster suggests and get a couple of preliminary bids to set my budget, then get plans drawn based on my budget. Then I would get finalized bids and get er done.

I hope this helps,

Brian Garrison

Old 07-29-06, 12:53 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can also talk with builder member of the Canada Home Builders Association in your area. You can also talk with the sales team at local building supply stores regarding costs and estimated costs per square foot in your area. Some building supply stores will take your plans and provide you with an estimate of costs of all materials for building your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: