Home estimate...

Old 09-05-07, 11:03 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home estimate...

Is there any way someone here can ballpark some costs for me? I'm a do it yourselfer looking at building a new home but certain things are hard to come by on the internet.

This home will be in a rural area, Ramsey IL. Build by a family friend who does a lot of homes in the area. He is a great carpenter. It will be on a hill side so a walk out basement is almost a must. Cost questions are:

How much for a basement pour? I've heard every corner you have adds 5k. Is that true?

How much for a typical 3 bathroom septic system?

How much for a well with water fairly close to the surface (based on local homes in the area that have had minimal depth for wells)

Also if I build a 2400sq ft ranch with a full basement but only finish the upstairs then will a general per sq ft still apply about the same to the 2400 sq ft or do I need to add in a great deal extra for the basement that I will mostly finish myself. The upstairs I plan on doing my own electrical, fixtures, tile, wood flooring, etc... the hope is to greatly reduce cost but I don't know if building a 2400 sq ft ranch with unfinished walkout basement for $170,000 is asking too much.

Opinions?

Old 09-06-07, 11:35 AM
M
Originally Posted by indepulated View Post
Is there any way someone here can ballpark some costs for me? I'm a do it yourselfer looking at building a new home but certain things are hard to come by on the internet.

This home will be in a rural area, Ramsey IL. Build by a family friend who does a lot of homes in the area. He is a great carpenter. It will be on a hill side so a walk out basement is almost a must. Cost questions are:

How much for a basement pour? I've heard every corner you have adds 5k. Is that true?

How much for a typical 3 bathroom septic system?

How much for a well with water fairly close to the surface (based on local homes in the area that have had minimal depth for wells)

Also if I build a 2400sq ft ranch with a full basement but only finish the upstairs then will a general per sq ft still apply about the same to the 2400 sq ft or do I need to add in a great deal extra for the basement that I will mostly finish myself. The upstairs I plan on doing my own electrical, fixtures, tile, wood flooring, etc... the hope is to greatly reduce cost but I don't know if building a 2400 sq ft ranch with unfinished walkout basement for $170,000 is asking too much.

Opinions?
A lot of these costs vary widely by location and also by season of the year. I don't think you'll get any very useful answers. I think you'd have better luck asking those in your area who do such work.

Old 09-06-07, 05:34 PM
I
Probably right but thought I'd give it a stab. Thanks for the post though. I can never seem to get prices anywhere online and like you said it really is seasonal/location that dictates that but was hoping for a ball park. Especially on the turns in the basement pouring/cost estimate of having a full poured basement.

Old 09-07-07, 07:47 AM
Most contractors give free estimates. Call someone that does the jobs you need done and ask them. That way it will be closer to actual cost. Ballpark on anything is just that. But I will give it a shot. Basement...$30,000 Septic...$5,000 Wells I have no idea....Home... $200 a square foot with no fancy stuff....Anything above contractors grade on any fixtures cost more.
The house price does not include finish floors or walls. These are Southern IL. prices. Rural area near Carbondale. Best idea is calling a contractor for prices in your area. Most are pretty busy around here and the price may reflect that fact.

Old 09-08-07, 06:17 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Call your local (homeowners) insurance agent, ask them the current cost per square foot for rebuilds. You can subtract a bit from that if you are doing MOST of the work yourself, keeping in mind that labor is usually the biggest cost. If all you are doing is interior finish work, yeah, you'll save some, but not as much as your are expecting.

With no basement, off-grade, your 2400 sq ft would cost about $196k to build here, without fancy fixtures, marble floors, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: