how to divide a room into two seperate areas

Old 01-15-09, 01:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to divide a room into two seperate areas

help!! I have a room, with a fireplace, 24X17, I want to divide the room into the back with my dining room table and hutch and the area near the fireplace with sofa and chairs. How much room do I need for the dining area, we plan to tile that area and carpet the rest. I don't want to make a nice size room suddently look small.

Old 01-15-09, 02:02 PM
I would think you would want at least 4 foot of clear space from the edge of the table to allow room to scoot back in your chair to access the table. Add that to the size of the table and any serving tables or dish cabinets to come up with the size of your room.

Old 01-15-09, 02:11 PM
T
Do you have your conversation area arranged around the fireplace as the focal point? Once you get that arrangement done, then you can look at the dining area. Look at the number of diningroom pieces and arrange so that it is not crowded. You want the dining area to look spacious and not confined with table centered under chandelier. You also do not want the conversation area to look confined. Pull out the chair closet to the conversation area. Then, a minimum of 48" behind that. Again, that's minimum.

Look at window and door placement. Usually you instinctively know where the break should be.

Old 01-22-09, 04:53 AM
C
Although building a wall to split the room may sound like the best idea, it's not always an option. A constructing a new wall is a fairly large expense! Moreover, the wall becomes a permanent addition in your home, making it a foolhardy solution if you only need the room divided temporarily.

-------------------
Litter bin for the home

Old 01-22-09, 05:23 AM
T
Too, in an era where open floor plans are popular, you need to take a look at the effect on the resale value of the home. There is no need to put up a wall when the separation and definition of spaces within open floor plans can be achieved with furniture arrangement and color.

You also say that the area is 24x17. If you divided it down the middle you would have two 12x8 1/2' rooms. You couldn't whip a cat in a room that size. That's why the floor plan is open!

If you do not know how to effectively arrange your furniture, there home stagers and decorators available who can help you with this and make suggestions for colors and decor. It's a small price to pay for a consultation fee, and certainly less than the cost of building a wall.

Additionally, you can post photos of the different areas of your open space with its multiple areas for input re: arrangement, colors, and decor in the Decorating Forum right here on this website.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: