Design Software

Old 04-12-09, 10:19 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Design Software

I'd love to be able to take photos of my own house (inside and out) then import them into a program and use those photos to manipulate the design. Does most design software do this or only certain ones? Or is this unheard of?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-09, 11:28 AM
Hi egbrown76,

Yes, it is possible. There are several options and the results will depend of three items
1 - The type of program
2 - The type of program's resources
3 - Your goals

1 --> Type of program--> You can use a Generic Graphic program (like Photoshop, Paint Shop PRO, etc - these are paid programs) and manipulate the pictures, changing the paint colors on the walls, or the floors' materials, or the sofas' fabrics, etc. These programs are perfect for the "what if" stage, assuming that you are just making a light redecoration of the house, creating a flat 2D painting with different options / results
The images I created (over the user's image) in this thread were developed with a generic graphic program
You will find also free programs for these tasks, like the ones offered by Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore
Some stores like IKEA or websites like BHG offer online resources for home decoration
Or, if the above options don't fit your necessities, you can use a Home Design program.
This depends of the programs' resources (see item below)
2 - Some graphic programs (like Google Sketch up - it is free) allow you a more or less accurate model of your house and modify the house, colors, textures, materials, etc
Other programs, like Punch, BHG or Imsi (these are paid programs - check the version first), allow you to import one or more pictures and set the image(s) as a room or the exterior of the house, adding elements or making changes. You will get a full 3D image with light, shadows, etc
The image I set (over the user's image) at the end of this thread was developed with a home design program (I imported the picture and I added the wainscot, bench, table, etc)
3 - As you see, there are dozens of options, depending of your goals. For decorating purposes I'd recommend a graphic program, and for remodeling / addition / building purposes or if you wish to include a list of materials, I'd recommend a home design program.

If you wish to post a picture of your house and your goals, I will be glad to show you an example

Old 04-12-09, 03:31 PM
E
Hi Patricia, thanks so much for your detailed response. That really helps a lot. I went to download the Google program; let's see if I can do something with it.

I took photos to upload one but I can't figure out how to do it. The "insert image" button requires a url instead of allowing me to browse my hard drive and upload.

Old 04-12-09, 04:23 PM
Hi egbrown76,

Glad to know the answer helped !!

In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Click the image icon above--> link your picture--> Presto!!

Old 04-12-09, 05:00 PM
E
What would I do without you?!

Last edited by pmgca; 04-12-09 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Picture link addition
Old 04-12-09, 05:17 PM
Hi egbrown76

Glad to help!

The picture didn't come in your post. I followed the link and I found a picture of a kitchen. Is this the picture you wish to post?

Old 04-12-09, 07:33 PM
E
Yes, that's it! You see, my goal is to make my kitchen one that doesn't suck.

Old 04-12-09, 10:07 PM
Hi egbrown76,

OK, I set your picture in your post, so all the users can see the original image
Below there are just a couple of (very) fast examples so you can see the options

Say you are thinking about a material / color change in the island--> what if I change the counterfor a Soft Peach Marble and what if I paint the cabinet using a Sherwin Willims 6381 Anjou Pear?
Then, you can use a Generic Graphic software and you will get this

But if you are thinking about new furniture and layout--> what if I set a new island with a different shape, a Desert Granite Countertop, wood cabinets, with a sink to wash vegetables and a stove top, but all this, flipped ?
Then, you can use a Home design software and you will get this

Hope this helps

Old 04-13-09, 07:37 AM
E
Wow! Thanks for all of that. I see I have a lot of learning and thinking to do. Let's see if I can make my kitchen into something I'm not ashamed of.

Old 04-13-09, 07:56 AM
You're welcome!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the process