3d modeling programs

Old 11-19-09, 09:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3d modeling programs

Hello:
I have been looking for a good 3d modeling program that will go very in depth with details. (landscape, various fixtures, etc.) I have found a program called punch home design, but the program is rather pricy (about $100) I was wondering are there any good programs out there that compare to this that may be cheaper, or offer a free license? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 06:26 AM
Hi cheinemann

There are several options, but overall, it depends of your goals

1 - You can use a Generic Graphic program (like Photoshop, Paint Shop PRO, etc - these are paid programs) and draw plans, manipulate the pictures, changing the paint colors , or the decks' materials, or the sofas' fabrics, etc. These programs are perfect for the "what if" decoration stage, assuming that you are just making an image, creating a flat 2D painting with different options / results

2 - Some graphic programs (like Google Sketch up - it is free) allow you a more or less accurate model of your deck and modify the design, colors, textures, materials, etc. Of course, you can use also a simple CAD program. But notice that, they are just drawing programs.

3 - Or, if the above options don't fit your necessities, you can use a Home Design program, like Punch, BHG or Imsi (these are paid programs - check the version first).

The main difference between the items 1 and 2 and the 3rd item (Home Design programs) is the fact that in Photoshop (or similar), the program doesn't know if it is drawing a fine art picture or your kitchen prints
In a Home Design program like the above mentioned, the program understands that you are drawing a wall, for example, and you can calculate the materials for that wall, framing, etc
Some Punch versions are very cheap you'll find some versions at Amazon for $65.00
Now, if you need a free home design program, I'd recommend Envisioneer V5

Check this post for additional info

I can recommend other programs, but I'd need to know your specific necessities

Old 11-22-09, 06:06 PM
C
Yeah, I am looking for something like you stated in option 3. I would like to use it for planning and visualizing "potential" projects for my home and be able to get a good idea of what they would look like, before I jump into them. It would also give me a better visualization of where I would like my house to go, as far as improvements, additions, rennovations, etc. Another item that would be nice is some type of an estimator built into the program that can give a rough estimate of project costs, materials, etc.

Old 11-22-09, 09:34 PM
Hi cheinemann,

Yes, Punch and Turbofloorplan will give you these options, including the estimator tool
Punch has several programs with different options. If you are looking for more professional tools, choose the Punch Pro series, or if you are a homeowner, go for the Punch NexGen programs

Old 11-23-09, 07:41 PM
C
ok, well what is your opinion about punch vs the turbofloorplan? Do you personally think one is better than the other? Does one have more bugs than the other, or does one program simply work better?

Old 11-23-09, 08:30 PM
I have both, I use both and as a matter of fact, I like both
Turbofloorplan has nice libraries, but you can't modify the objects inside the program. Also, it has not technical assistance, just the community Forum
Punch has technical assistance and a community forum. Objects can be imported or developed with the 3D workshop tool. Also, it has a Framing editor, so I'd say that Punch is your best option

Old 11-23-09, 08:50 PM
C
ok, I guess that was sort of the answer I was hoping to hear. From looking at the Punch software I have been quite impressed. But, as for a "homeowner friendly" version of the software, which version would I be looking for, and what kind of $$ would we be looking at?

Old 11-23-09, 09:14 PM
C
Another small thing that I noticed is that when I was experimenting with the free version of envisioneer, that stairwells between floors were not exactly correct. On the bottom side (basement to 1st floor) the staircase would go up to a ceiling. There was no opening to the next floor above it. Is this simply a glitch with this particular program?

Old 11-23-09, 09:30 PM
Hi cheinemann,

You'll need to check the staircase issue with the manufacturer or at the Envisioneer Forum.

As for Punch, I'd suggest Platinum or nexGen blue box
They have a demo version of Platinum (it is not the last version)
Punch! Software

Old 11-24-09, 05:01 PM
C
Thanks for the advice. I will continue to look into which software to invest in.

Old 11-24-09, 08:40 PM
You're welcome! ............................

Old 12-04-09, 11:13 AM
M
I've used a program called 3D Home Architect. I think it's only about $40.

Old 12-04-09, 02:35 PM
Hi md2lgyk,

Encore's 3D Home Architect in powered by Punch, (they bought the brand)
But anyway, they did 3DHA version 9 and 10 but now 3DHA has been discontinued