home addition design....ideas?

Old 06-03-10, 07:29 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
home addition design....ideas?

We are planning to add a room, which includes a bedroom, bathroom, and closet. Also, an existing bathroom is being remodeled, a stairway is being added to a new basement under the new addition. We are considering adding a small laundry closet to this bedroom, to get the current laundry facilities out of the existing kitchen.

The house is a 1950's ranch.

The plan is pdf viewable at ******************

Need opinions on the room sizes and layouts. This will be the master bedroom. This addition will make the house a 4 bedroom, 3 full bath house.

Do the layouts look reasonable? Anything glaring?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-03-10 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Strange link
Old 06-03-10, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You posted an odd link, that I for one, was afraid to click on, so I removed it.
Any way you can upload it to a photo site such as Photobucket, then add that link here?

Old 06-03-10, 07:59 PM
C
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You posted an odd link, that I for one, was afraid to click on, so I removed it.
Any way you can upload it to a photo site such as Photobucket, then add that link here?
It is not an odd link, it is a tiny url....a link to a pdf on my website, shortened. It is a pdf...nothing scary in that. But, since it is a pdf....I dont think photobucket can host it. I cannot convert it to a pdf, it is a cad drawing, not a photograph. here is the link in the not short form.....nothing scary.....

Note from the moderator: we don't accept PDFs or other files for download. Please create a jpg or bmp and upload the image. Follow this instructions to post your image
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...ml#post1616710

If I am not wrong the original is a Punch V14 or V15 file--> create a screenshot--> save as jpg por bmp

Last edited by pmgca; 06-03-10 at 08:38 PM. Reason: PDF for download removed
Old 06-03-10, 08:52 PM
C
okey dokey....sorry about the confusion...big picture here....

Thanks for your patience!

Old 06-04-10, 07:34 AM
Hi cdc3030

Some notes, starting with the plan

- As (in Punch) you didn't enclosed the rooms totally and you didn't add the break walls , I don't see the partial dims. Example: the master bath on the right. You can use also the manual dims tool, so I can get a better idea of the partial spaces
- Master bathroom: looks like the toilet space is not enough, but again, I'd need to know the partial dims. BTW, in this bathroom, there is a wall and a door, going to...? use of this room? is it a closet?
-Closet--> as I understand the plan, you set the washer and dryer in this closet? opening to the master bedroom? I don't think that it is a good idea...
- Bathroom to the left: The 5' dim is covering the tub dim, so I am not sure about the spoace, but looks, again, like the toilet space is not enough

Additional note (for your own privacy), I'd suggest that, in the screenshot, you remve the bottom panels and tabs...

Old 06-04-10, 07:55 AM
C
Yeah, this is not a real plan, just a rough sketch, so not worried about the real details. The builder will do the real drawings.

The fixtures are not set, so exact dims are not set either....no tub picked out, etc. Just wanting to make sure that the extension is the right size, and the general rooms are the right size, placement, etc.

Yes, room opening from master bath is a closet.(if you mean the one that says closet on it....with the slider)

The doors are missing from the bathroom, I just noticed that. But, there will be a door on the bathroom, to the bedroom.

The closet with the washer and dryer in it, will have accordion doors, and yes, open to the bedroom. There is no laundry room in the house now, and the washer dryer is in the kitchen. This makes for an annoying laundry mess in the main room of the house, so we are thinking of putting a laundry room/closet in this new room to hide it away.

So, thank you for your thoughts.....I am looking less for the builder details, which the builder will work out, and more for the usability details that are hard to see in an imaginary room. I know this sketch is less than ideal, but I did not want to put too much time into a plan that will be tossed out by the pros.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by pmgca View Post
Hi cdc3030

Some notes, starting with the plan

- As (in Punch) you didn't enclosed the rooms totally and you didn't add the break walls , I don't see the partial dims. Example: the master bath on the right. You can use also the manual dims tool, so I can get a better idea of the partial spaces
- Master bathroom: looks like the toilet space is not enough, but again, I'd need to know the partial dims. BTW, in this bathroom, there is a wall and a door, going to...? use of this room? is it a closet?
-Closet--> as I understand the plan, you set the washer and dryer in this closet? opening to the master bedroom? I don't think that it is a good idea...
- Bathroom to the left: The 5' dim is covering the tub dim, so I am not sure about the spoace, but looks, again, like the toilet space is not enough

Additional note (for your own privacy), I'd suggest that, in the screenshot, you remve the bottom panels and tabs...

Old 06-04-10, 10:52 PM
C
New plan

Ok, the stairs were not long enough, so that changed everything.

urg. Drawing different now.....

Old 09-09-10, 09:44 PM
H
Well, as a designer. I wonder, what does your home look like? Are you going for something modern, traditional or somewhere in the middle?
Not sure if you have some ideas already, but it is something that you should start to think about since it'll help determine the type of finishes you'll choose.
I don't see a lot of windows here, also I hate having a door across from the foot of the bed. Its bad fengshui and in a meaningful manner since it compromise privacy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: