Insulated Windows - Does It Really Help That Much

Old 07-27-10, 03:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulated Windows - Does It Really Help That Much

Hi all,

I don't really buy into a lot of the new trends and beliefs about certain products saving you money and energy. I'm replacing my windows and my friend told me that I should pay extra for insulated windows instead of normal ones. He argued that they save some money and would pay for themselves.

This site about insulated windows (Insulated Windows) seems to agree with him as well as a few other ons I found, so I'm wondering if anyone has any statistics on how much energy they can save.

DanV

Old 08-07-10, 10:42 AM
A
Insulated glass in a must

You won't believe the difference in the windows, you will wonder how you ever went so long without them. They are quiet, windproof, and cozy. No matter where you live you will benefit from them. You will pay very little difference between non insulated and insulated glass. You used to be able to buy them for $65 each, They have gone up to about $165 each, depending on size of course. But you definitely want them. We live in Florida, and we have to have them for the heat, If you live up north, you have to have them for the cold. Check it out. Single hung are fine, If the opening is real big and the sash demands a jack to lift the window up, consider the sliders, they don't need the sash balance, and are real nice.

Old 08-12-10, 08:00 AM
P
Everything Agent91 writes is true.
However, there is little point in spending a lot of money if, you have not already, blocked every hole, filled every crack in your home and insulated your ceilings, walls and floors.
Most heat is lost or gained by conduction through the walls and ceilings, the sun shines on the outside, heats the roof and walls and makes it way indoors.
Some heat is gained or lost by convection, where the ceilings and walls are heated and then heat the air inside that rotates and transfers the heat to the other side.
Final point. You can spend a lot on buying the perfect modern insulated windows, it the person fitting them does not make a good job, taking care to seal all round with foam, they very often forget to seal under the window cills, leaving a nasty draft that costs money.

Old 08-18-10, 09:16 PM
T
I've actually heard that insulating glass actually makes a difference. I'm looking for a silicone sealant for my new insulated window- does anyone have experiences with Dow Corning?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-19-10 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 08-19-10, 03:29 AM
P
talebit, I'm not sure where you are going with this?
What do you mean by "insulating glass"
A lot of fish tanks are made with clear silicone, its used to join the glass panels.
Dow has various types of silicone aimed at different markets.
Silicone is a very good sealant but, when joining glass and say a wood frame you have to allow for different rates of expansion and contraction.
This means that unless you have a gap of at least 3/8ths to provide enough space for the silicone to stretch and contract, it will break away from one of the surfaces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: