Hiding crawl space access

Old 01-19-13, 05:09 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hiding crawl space access

Just bought a new old house (1960s) and I've finally located the crawl space to underneath the house. There are two accesses actually, one for one side of the stem wall and one for the other. One crawl space is in a good spot, underneath the washer and dryer area in the laundry room. The other crawl space is in a main hallway under a piece of nasty looking carpet about 2'x3'. Well, I was wondering how I'm going to eventually hide this as I'm not going to have any carpet in the house whatsoever. I'm doing laminate (wood) floors throughout except for tile in the kitchen and both bathrooms. So, that leads me to wondering how I'm going to keep the access, but also make it look nice. I reckon I could always seal up the current access and move it somewhere else, like a closet, but there again, I'd still like to make it not so noticeable if at all.

So, what do ya'll have as far as crawl space accesses and/or what do ya'll recommend in this type of situation?

Thanks!!

Old 01-19-13, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
IMO having a crawlspace access door under the washer is a bad location - involves a lot of work if you need to get under the house to check/fix something. Is there a reason you couldn't install an access door in the foundation?

I have a small cellar under part of my master bedroom. There is an access door in the floor of the walk in closet. The closet has an oak floor and you have to look close to see the door [also covered with oak].... of course all my wife's shoes help to camouflage it some

Old 01-19-13, 08:38 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Is there anything big in those crawl space areas that may need to come out or be replaced. In the marine environment they have high quality brass hardware that is designed to fit flush and yet be use for lifting when needed. The idea is, instead of trying to blend it in, make it look high quality.

Bud

Old 01-20-13, 07:25 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IMO having a crawlspace access door under the washer is a bad location - involves a lot of work if you need to get under the house to check/fix something. Is there a reason you couldn't install an access door in the foundation?

I have a small cellar under part of my master bedroom. There is an access door in the floor of the walk in closet. The closet has an oak floor and you have to look close to see the door [also covered with oak].... of course all my wife's shoes help to camouflage it some

Yeah, it will be a bit of work to get underneath the part of the house where the washer/dryer crawl space access is, but it’s a decent sized opening and it’ll be easy to cover up. Less work [for now]. Haha

I supposed I could cut a hole in the foundation, but it makes me nervous to chop a hole through the cinder blocks that hold the weight of the house up. Haha Especially a hole big enough to comfortably fit through along with tools, etc. It’s an option, however…

Is there anything big in those crawl space areas that may need to come out or be replaced. In the marine environment they have high quality brass hardware that is designed to fit flush and yet be use for lifting when needed. The idea is, instead of trying to blend it in, make it look high quality.

Bud

Nothing big is under there that I’ve seen. Just gas, water, and sewer pipes is all. Which, unfortunately, the gas and water pipes are all getting replaced. It’ll be nice to have all new, but it’s gonna’ be kind of a pain to replace it all! Interesting idea on not trying to hide the crawl space but rather fancy it up and make it not look like…well, like it looks now. lol

Old 01-20-13, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
I supposed I could cut a hole in the foundation, but it makes me nervous to chop a hole through the cinder blocks that hold the weight of the house up
You'd reinforce the joists above the opening. Depending on the direction of the joists it could be as simple as adding more lumber to the rim joist or could involve inserting steel to pick up the load. While you can't just knock a hole in the foundation without any for thought - it shouldn't be too hard to do it correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: