Noise proofing a home from truck traffic

Old 02-19-15, 07:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Noise proofing a home from truck traffic

I own a home near a major road way. There is truck traffic all night long. Can someone suggest the best method for noise proofing my home ? I am not sure where to start with the noise insulation and would appreciate suggestions. I am considering installing double pane windows and shutters. Do these work to diminish the noise from the road outside ? Would a large concrete fence between the house and the road be better for providing noise insulation ? If so how high would the fence need to be and what material would be good for construction ?

Thanks, '

FB

Old 02-19-15, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We keep one topic in a single thread so your other one in fences is no longer there.
Don't worry..... the proper people will see this thread.

I can feel your pain. Double pane windows would certainly help but surely wouldn't be a cure-all. I'm not sure if a fence would even help. Cement wall..... maybe..... but .

Truck noise is almost impossible to eliminate. Hopefully others will have better ideas for you.

Old 02-20-15, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Double pane windows do a lot to reduce noise. The shutters will add to that. Big bucks but worth it. You'll also save on energy bills.

If you are close to a freeway, usually Caltrans will erect sound walls, but you know how that goes. I know it's done all the time by the state, but I'm not sure how you would initialize getting a wall built if it wasn't already part of the plan.

Take a look at some homes near freeway. You'll see several types of fences. Some could be built by a homeowner, some are very extravagant and too costly to build.

Old 02-20-15, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Which was there first....house or roadway? Has the roadway been expanded over the years since the house was built, say from a 2 lane country road to a 4 lane highway? Sometimes there are remedies for it through the state, county, or your builder, but, as Brian says, basically good luck.

Sound deadening insulation such as Roxul, multiple pane windows all help with sound reduction. Walls, fences, etc., deflect the sound, but it falls right back down on you. Yeah, a concrete wall would work, but it would have to be taller than the vehicles traveling beside it.

Old 02-20-15, 06:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How far is the home from the wall?

Sound is not exactly like a beam of light that goes straight. - If the house is far away from the house, the sound (road noise) can go over the wall and spread out and down. The DOT learned this long ago and tries to build new walls higher, but ofter owners still want to see over the walls. This, and the cost of high walls does impose a limit on how high they are built.

A good, tight line of blue spruce works well to muffle some of the sound frequencies, but that takes time.

Even the common 6' high concrete block privacy walls common in some of CA do some good for sound.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: