Basement stairwell ideas?

Old 09-04-18, 05:16 AM
Basement stairwell ideas?

Any advice appreciated. I want to wall-in the stairwell.
From the concrete foundation wall on the left to the wall on the right is 41 1/2"
If I put 2x sideways and sheetrock (sr) on the right wall, that takes it down to 39 1/2", that will cover the heat pump drain and clean up the wall. I want it to go down to the bsmt floor.
If I put a 2x4 wall on the left concrete + sr, that takes the width down to 35 1/2", which seems tight for a bsmt corridor.
I could put a wall above the left wall and have a concrete wall, but the rest of the basement will be finished with 2x4 and sr.
I could add the 2x4 wall on the left just past the stairwell?
Comments, suggestions pls.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-18, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
The heat pump drain could surely be concealed within the existing wall if someone would just remove a 16" wide section of drywall and do it. Then you would have room for a wall on the left.

You should also do some reading on the best way to insulate and frame your basement walls. https://buildingscience.com/document...ent-insulation

Old 09-08-18, 05:57 AM
after looking, the wall sits on a double joist support, so I can't run it thru there. Good reference on the construction... I've seen that before as I have extensively pursued the 'air space vs no air space' controversy for interior walls in basements.

Old 09-08-18, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like the double joists already have the hole drilled in them where the pioe currently is... and that hole is at the top of the joist. Again, might as well run it up the wall.

Will you be adding a wall on the right?

Old 09-18-18, 05:05 AM
yes wall on the right is my plan, but that reduces the width of the stairwell to less than 36", which i want to avoid. wall on the right would be 2xs laid flat with drywall over them.

Old 09-18-18, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Your wall on the right will be under the existing wall... and will not reduce the stairway width at all. Remove a 16"x16" section of drywall around that pipe and post a picture.