Repercussions for installing short doors?

Old 01-14-20, 03:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repercussions for installing short doors?

I'm in a 500 sqft house with 1 door facing away from the road. This door is the standard 36" wide 6'8" tall.
I need to add a laundry room. Since I'm already replacing my siding, I'm taking the laundry room addition one step further and simply adding a garage that extends one side (the gable end) of the house. The problem is my height clearances are extremely tight.

The house is on blocks, so the door from the garage slab to the house has to step up 15-1/2" while the garage roof has to tie into the existing siding at a level below the existing roof eaves.

I end up with 6' 3-1/2" from the house finish floor to rough "header" leading into the garage.
At the far end of the garage where I need to place a road-facing door, I have 6' 3-3/4" from slab to rough "header".

Raising the house will gain clearance for the exterior garage door, but not the one that leads into the house. That would risk damage to my tiled bathroom anyways.

I have no problem using a short door that's still 4 inches taller than me, but could something else be wrong with cutting down a standard door to 6' 2"?

Old 01-14-20, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As far as I know there aren't any issues. I've worked on mobile homes and most of them just have 76" tall doors.

Old 01-14-20, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Generally you cant cut down exterior doors. Interior ones, yes. But in most cases you need to order an exterior door if it is not standard sized and have them do that in the factory. Mobile home doors are shorter, so you might look into that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: