Stair Railing Installation

Old 02-25-20, 03:44 PM
W
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Stair Railing Installation

I need to install a railing next to a stairway that goes down to a basement laundry room. The only place to install it is on a poured concrete foundation wall the the stairs are next to. I would imagine that I can get some kind of kit that would have the parts and pieces to do it, but drilling into, and taping this poured concrete wall bothers me. Should I drill it and use like a Tapcon screw to hold the railing supports, or is there a better process for this type of installation?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-20, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
You can use tapcons if you dont mind the way the head of the tapcon looks. My advice would be to use the 1/4" x 1 1/4" hex head tapcons. (5/16 nut driver on an impact... just be careful not to overtighten them since if the head snaps off, you will have to move the handrail bracket to a new location) You will need a hammer drill and their tapcon drill bit. (3/16") A rotary hammer and sds bit would make quick work of this.

If you happen to have the single hole handrail brackets you might want to use the bugle head tapcons instead (#3 Philips driver) and use a large countersink so the head of the tapcon is recessed the right amount.

Code for top of the handrail is 34-38" as measured vertically from the front edge of the stair nosing.

Old 02-25-20, 04:15 PM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
My advice would be to use the 1/4" x 1 1/4"
And be sure to use the recommended drill size, too big, they won't hold, two small and you will shear the screw in two!