is this loft heavy enough to hold an ibc

Old 05-15-20, 06:32 PM
I
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
is this loft heavy enough to hold an ibc

im wanting to store 275 gallon tank in my hay loft. its about 4x4 wide. the joists are 2x8 on 24 inch centers. the pictures show how the joists are supported. the one joist is nailled the entire length of the wall. I just want to put on up there and on the edge.

Attached Images   
Old 05-16-20, 01:44 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Cant tell from the pictures, but that comes out to 2200#.

ou mentioned "nailed" to me thats a red flag, Id say it needs to be a special built support!

Old 05-16-20, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
You told us the joist size and spacing but you didn't tell us the span. I wouldn't be storing a full IBC on 2 x 8's spaced on 24" centers that alone is a red flag. Then the lower photo appears to show your joists sitting on top of a single member beam held in place with nails.

I recommend looking online for how people build decks to hold hot tubs. That's a similar amount of weight and they are trying to hold it up in the air with a wood structure. Don't be surprised by the heavy construction. Many plans include footers or pads for posts added under the high load area. Remember you are putting the equivalent of a Mazda Miata+ up on a shelf. Depending on what you are storing in the IBC the weight could be much more. Many products are much heavier than water. For example, a tote full of Weathermax herbicide concentrate will be closer to 3'200 pounds.

Old 05-16-20, 11:44 AM
I
I was thinking about putting a house jack under the joists with a 4x4 crossways to help hold it up. If I have to reinforce too much I'll just build a separate platform so I don't break my barn

Old 05-27-20, 04:58 PM
I
Would that loft work hold say 4-50 gallon drums laid down with a frame under them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: