Building an structure inside a metal pole barn?

Old 03-17-21, 12:32 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Building an structure inside a metal pole barn?

I have a large 30x40 metal polebarn. It has well water, a bathroom, and a newly installed fuse box (plus rv hookup).

It is gravel floor, and stinks a bit (we just recently bought the property, I have had little time to work on the workshop)... which is probably either due to moisture or rat poop or both. I have to remove a lot of debris that might also be the problem.

anyway, we have house cats, and allergic relatives. We live rurally, so at some point I need to construct an ADU of some kind. Are there any benefits (ie, major cost savings) to building some sort of small building within the existing structure? Ie, take a unused corner, add a door/window(s)/ insulation and frame something out?

i am unsure if that is a good idea or a terrible one. On the negative side, it ties the fate of the adu with the workshop. I have the space to build an adu elsewhere... but given there is already electric, water, and a bathroom i feel like I could save a lot. (I was thinking of building next to existing bathroom, and rebuilding the bathroom to have a door into the adu and an exterior door into the workshop area so I could use it easily when we dont have vistors.

i could also simply build near the workshop and tap into the septic and electric. However, all free standing adus solutions I've researched are well out of my current budget, which is why I was wondering if building inside the existing structure would save enough money to make it worthwhile (2 less walls, no issues with rainfall, using bathroom, etc). Heck, given that there is alresdy existing rain protection i could probably use the roof as a loft to store stuff.

dumb idea? Good idea?

Old 03-18-21, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
What is an ADU?.................

Old 03-18-21, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 281 Posts
Google is your friend. ADU = Accessory Dwelling Unit

I have heard of people building a building inside a pole building but only with very large buildings. 40 x 80 for example. A 30 x 40 pole barn in only 1200 square feet of space and would not make sense to build a building inside the building. If you want to live there you would be better off just finishing off the building into a finished dewlling.

Old 03-19-21, 02:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
How big of a living area do you need? would it make sense to add onto the bldg for living space?

Down the road is a business that was run out of a double wide until they built a house on the property and turned the trailer into their office. Later on they erected a huge pole barn over the double wide. I have no idea if that trailer is still in there or not.

Old 03-19-21, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
"Google is your friend. ADU = Accessory Dwelling Unit"
Yes, I know. But it is quite rude/improper to post acronyms that many will not know and more than a few have multiple meanings.

Old 03-19-21, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Its only a bad idea if you will miss the space in the barn. Pole barns are a little difficult to retrofit windows and doors into since they have no exterior sheathing or WRB, (housewrap) they are prone to leak. They are also built on grade, so if it gets very wet, water can come under the walls. Raising the grade by adding a vapor barrier and concrete floor will help with that. Redoing the bathroom at the same time is a good plan.

Whatever you decide, it pays to get permits so that its legit and doesn't come back to haunt you later.

Old 03-22-21, 09:54 AM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am not 'rude' for using 'ADU' and I don't care for being insulted.

@xsleeper - you are probably right in that I'd still need to protect any interior dwelling as much, or almost as much, as if it were a new build outside. I am just trying to figure out the cheapest way I can pull off something for visitors to live in given I have access to septic, water, and electricity at the workshop.

Perhaps just buying a used RV of some sort would do the job. I could hook it up to well water, septic, and electric and then instead of new build focus my energy on any smaller remodeling issues inside the RV.

Old 03-22-21, 02:28 PM
I
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
For a space to be considered an ADU it must have its own kitchen, living area/bedroom, and a private entrance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: