Zero Entry On A Basement Foundation

Old 07-10-23, 01:09 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Zero Entry On A Basement Foundation

Has anyone built or designed a home with "Zero Entry" on a basement foundation? I'm trying to eliminate the need for steps entering the home from the outside. I have a lot of the framing details figured out but I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with the loss of height with respect exterior grade. Typically the top of the basement wall would sit several inches above grade but with zero entry that seems to be a challenge. Thanks!

Old 07-10-23, 01:39 PM
T
Received 112 Upvotes on 100 Posts
My guess is that millions of homes have basements with sole access from above, interior. Basements only need access via a window or door when the space constitiutes living area. Check with your local building department but I believe you'll find exterior access is needed only when the space is a living area.

Old 07-10-23, 02:53 PM
B
Received 321 Upvotes on 283 Posts
Check with the building department because in my town new basements needs 2 points of entry/exit and windows based on square footage. Windows installed below grade don't count if the don't allow light to enter. Most foundations are 1-2 foot above grade to keep the wooden parts of the framing and sheathing from being in a damp environment which results in the wood rotting. I think your plans are going down the wrong path.

Old 07-13-23, 10:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
What's the reason behind this? I ask because I'm envisioning rain and snow entering the basement this way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: