rebuild

Old 07-23-23, 02:28 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rebuild

We are in process of rebuilding a home, builder said take whatever you want from the home, as they are going to demo the existing home.

My qs. is what should I take form home and how to go about it ?

we have taken kitchen/laundry appliances
but what else can i take?

like boiler / 3yrs old , it is in the home
tank less water heater 5 yrs.
wooden floor? how?
wooden doors? worth it?
locks
like fixtures? receptacles/switches/gfci?
vanity?
cabinets?
8x8 ft franch door? how do I take it off and save it?
bay windows? other andersen windows?
a/c?
long roof gutter?
baseboard heating?
storm doors?
or am going crazy? anything valuable am I mssing?

or let this go wasted?

I tried to call a few co. to donate or save it/reuse it but they only take antique items.
any suggestions?

Old 07-23-23, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Depending on your builder for the new house, if he often builds house for clients on teardown property sites he may know sources that might be interested in buying some of that stuff.

With some old historic houses built by noted builders the teardowns often have some much sought-after stuff like flooring, roofing, chandeliers, appliances, etc. that have second-hand value either for reclaimed purposes or for parts, etc.

There used to be a 6,000 sq. ft. single story house with pool here on this site that was torn down (demolished) to make way for a 15,000 sq.ft. house to be built. Over $12k was recovered from the sale of the slate roofing, windows, doors, chandeliers, sconces, major appliances, NG generator, automatic transfer switch, pool pump, etc., which helped to pay for a chunk of the demolition cost.

Last edited by Kooter; 07-23-23 at 05:29 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-23-23, 07:50 PM
S
yeah, thank you. Builders in our area are not interested in buying that type of stuff.. it is cost to take and store.

but more importantly , what must I take ?. like no brainers.

Old 07-23-23, 08:11 PM
I don't think you 'must' take anything, however there are probably some smaller items you'll want to take that will be easy to store yourself at the new house. Maybe spare light bulbs, tools garden equipment, ladders, hoses, something that is sentimental like a small concrete ornament or a dog you us to have, etc. But, I wouldn't take anything you know full-well in your heart-of-hearts that you'll never ever use even if you feel its has some significant value. Ask yourself; if no one else wants it - why should I want it?

You can be a packrat and keep tons of 'stuff' no one wants except for only you. Don't be that person!

Who wants a long roof gutter? What? Or old baseboard heating? Or an old storm door? Really, really?

All that 'stuff' you listed after the appliances - It's really just useless junk, so trash it!

Old 07-23-23, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 814 Upvotes on 685 Posts
The way I would look at it is if you have a use for it, can sell it, or scrap it, then it is worth taking. When my old boss was tearing down his cabin I took all the Hardy siding and used it on my house for board and batten. Turned out quite well.

like boiler / 3yrs old , it is in the home (yes)

tank less water heater 5 yrs. (yes)
wooden floor? how? (no, it would be likely difficult to remove)
wooden doors? worth it? If you can take the whole jamb and they are standard size)
locks (Yes, if they are good quality or stainless or brass)
like fixtures? receptacles/switches/gfci? (No, unless they are high quality or made out of aluminum or brass)
vanity? (maybe if you have a use)
cabinets? (yes)
8x8 ft franch door? how do I take it off and save it? (no, too heavy)
bay windows? other andersen windows? (Yes if they are small enough to be easily removed/moved)
a/c? (no, unless you can recover the refrigerant)
long roof gutter? (yes, if you can use it or scrap it)
baseboard heating? (Yes, scrap)
storm doors? (Yes, scrap)
or am going crazy? anything valuable am I missing? (any copper wire you can get your hands on. Bare copper is over $3/lb while romex is $1.75)

Old 07-24-23, 05:04 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 237 Upvotes on 187 Posts
I think Tolyn pretty much is on the same thought process as me. I looked at this thread yesterday & started to reply then decided not to because:
I think most of this is personal choice. There is no "must take" items. What one person might do for one reason, maybe totally out of the question for another. Again, I think its just a personal choice. If YOU want to take it, then do so. If you don't have a reason to take it, walk away from it.

I do think that things like the new boiler & somewhat new water heater are things you could put back into the rebuild and save yourself some money.
Tolyn mentioned cabinets. Personally, I wouldn't UNLESS, the rebuild was planned out so the cabinets would fit perfectly in the new rebuild. I'll add that cabinets are very expensive. If they wont fit in the rebuild and you have a shed or workshop where you can utilize odd size cabinets, that would be a great way to repurpose them and get many years use out of them.
Floors? No way I'd take the floors.
Appliances? If they were 5 years old or newer, absolutely yes, but be sure you build the new home so these appliances will fit.
I think that's going to be the answer to many of your questions...... will it work in the rebuild and will it save me enough money to be worth taking them. If you're ready for new appliances & you dont want to bother selling the items...... that's all personal choices you need to make. Again, I dont think there is any "must take" items. If you'd rather buy new stuff for a new rebuild, let it go. Demolish & send to the land fill.

Old 07-24-23, 07:04 AM
If you'd rather buy new stuff for a new rebuild, let it go. Demolish & send to the land fill.
I personally don't want my old stuff (with the exception of tools, most furniture, artwork, TVs, sound equipment and computer equipment, kitchen utensils & dinnerware/china/silver and portable appliances) I might not even choose to re-use the washer & dryer, refrigerator or freezer if they are 4-5 years old. I most definitely do not want someone else's stuff in a new house. But that's just me...

Old 07-24-23, 10:49 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Taking it is not the question, how are you going to store it and what are you going to do with it?

All that stuff has value if it can be used/sold in the end!

Old 07-25-23, 06:57 AM
S
Thank you all for your insight.

I am taking what I think I need , but I feels that we Dont have any platform/market to repurpose these things.. like storm doors — If I were to buy new It costs range $200-300, the one I have is working perfectly fine and will go to land fill and other appliances, since new home is different not going to fit or “not matching” ..

the new French door for new home patio entrances quote is north of 4k .. I can’t even donate this

the roof gutter and the garage door/opener, disposer etc just goes to garbage.. not helping

Old 07-25-23, 11:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 407 Upvotes on 362 Posts
You've probably tried already, but see if there's a Habitat for Humanity ReStore nearby. They are a great organization and will take building supplies in good condition. You'll get a tax deduction for it.

If they know they can get a house-full of materials, they may come out further than normal to pickup.
https://www.habitat.org/restores

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: