standard plans vs. custom plans

Old 11-19-99, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
my husband and i would like to build a house. we have only ideas a little planning ALOT of connections as far as trades go and a desire to build a beautiful home for a price we can afford. i can do it! i have narrowed down my search for what i want the house to have and have settled on a plan. this plan was in builder magazine in their fall 300 best home plans issue. i have contact with lots of achitechs, but even their deal price (about $1000 for a 2132 sq. ft. house) is more than the $425 for the plans from the magazine. I have looked up the designer and they are a reputable firm. am i safe to purchase plans here? what has been the concenus in the past with people who have chosen this route. obvoisly red lining is going to happen with the plumbing and hvce etc due to local codes varying but is this worthwhile? (note- i have access to a blueline and a print machine so copies are no problem)

Old 11-19-99, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Take the magazine picture to a local can interact on changes, comply with local codes and build the plan into your site and customize to your needs. You can shop a little but in general this is some of the best money you will spend. A set of well drawn plans can save $1000. Plans that get changed too much in progress can lead to much more costly fixes. Many of these magazine plans are for a different climate etc. The ability to make copies will come in handy because it is amazing how many you will go through.
Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: