Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

problems found long after sale

OH

12-31-17, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)  
problems found long after sale

closed on new home in October, went to install a new fixture in my basement today and inside the box was the craziest thing ive ever seen, there is new romex coming out of the junction box going over to a new outlet for a sump pump that was required by the VA inspector, though nothing of it until I actually got in the box to see for myself that the previous owners didnt use a pigtail for the new wire... what they did is strip about a 1/4 inch spot which looks like maybe a razor blade then looped the new romex around it and called it a day, no tape no way possible to use a wing nut, no solder... nothing, seeing something like this really makes me worried about what else was done like this in my home. who is to blame, the seller or the home inspector? can anything be done at this point? if not does home insurance cover electrical fires....

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-31-17, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Sounds like it had to be the owners, was probably never reinspected, just signed off on. I did a repair to the roof (correctly) and the inspector never saw it, just took my word and notified the Realtors.

First person to talk to is your Realtor. Inspector is liable for nothing other than a refund of his fee (depending on who paid him).

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NJ

12-31-17, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Interesting. Here in NJ when something electrical is called out in an inspection it needs to be carried out by a licensed electrician. The inspector/agency requires a notification/bill from a licensed electrician and then calls it completed.

~ Pete ~

VA

01-01-18, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)  
No inspector is going to open up every outlet box to inspect.
I would not waste time playing the blame game, I'd just fix it and move on.

Group Moderator

MN

01-01-18, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I agree with Joe. I see this stuff all the time. Many homes are the wild west of wiring. Not that it is correct, but people do a lot of crazy things.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

CT

01-01-18, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I agree. A minor repair that would be far less hassle than trying to pursue it under some sort of warranty.

ME

01-01-18, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)  
I think the lesson here is buyers need to do more due diligence. In this case a check at the building official's office might have shown no permit or inspection, although not always required. But as mentioned, this was work required for the sale so a buyer needs to aware that too many home owners will want to get last minute things done as cheaply as possible.

Checking for permits and inspections can be very informative and provide leverage for negotiating the price.

As for placing blame, since you found it the damage was minimal. If the house had burnt down the insurance company may have gone looking for whoever did that work.

Pulling permits and getting inspections are steps too often avoided that can come back to haunt both sellers and buyers.

Bud

PA

01-01-18, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Posted By: H3re2Learn closed on new home in October,

Good news, you're finding problems in "months", generally the cut off for complaining is going to be a year or two.

Posted By: H3re2Learn there is new romex coming out of the junction box going over to a new outlet for a sump pump
that was required by the VA inspector,
Did you get a before-and-after report from the VA, home inspector, local municipality?

Posted By: H3re2Learn though nothing of it until I actually got in the box to see for myself that the previous owners didnt use a pigtail for the new wire... what they did is strip about a 1/4 inch spot which looks like maybe a razor blade then looped the new romex around it and called it a day, no tape no way possible to use a wing nut, no solder... nothing,
Well, how many items were identified on the VA inspector list? I'd go back and check each....

Posted By: H3re2Learn seeing something like this really makes me worried about what else was done like this in my home.
Eh, that's the real issue here, when it was done, it wasn't yet "your home". What SHOULD have been done is
probably buried in the tems of the agreement of sale. That can be ENTIRELY different depending on whether your are deailing with an Ohio Realtor contract, VA contract, Bank-Owned Contract, or something that somebody, or their realtor, or thier attorney wrote up.

Posted By: H3re2Learn who is to blame, the seller or the home inspector?
Neither of them.
Generally, the paperwork states that the Buyer is purchasing the house "as is".
The paperwork generally says that the Buyer has had the opportunity to inspect everything (at their own expense).
The Buyer is stuck with anything that they didn't inspect, or didn't pay somebody else to inspect.
If the Buyer didn't bring a screwdriver, remove the covers of outlets and junction boxes, and check the wiring,
BUT THEY COULD HAVE, then they're stuck with it.

Posted By: H3re2Learn can anything be done at this point?
Well, if nobody hired anybody to find it, then you hire somebody to fix it...

Posted By: H3re2Learn does home insurance cover electrical fires....
Generally, they do. But once you know about a problem, you're usually required to fix it at your own cost.

Search this Thread