Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

roofing insurance exclusion

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-27-16, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)  
roofing insurance exclusion

My homeowner's insurance bill/policy came yesterday and while it doesn't apply to me I was curious as to why this exclusion was included in the amendments to dwelling coverage.
We do not pay for losses, which result from the insureds use of, roll roofing.
Not sure why properly installed rolled roofing would be a different risk than any other type of roof

BUT I was presently surprised that because of the recent property inspection - my coverage has went up and the premiums went down $9 They claimed at that time that they inspect all insured properties every 5 yrs but that is the first time they inspected mine since I took out coverage with them over 20 yrs ago. The bill states my house is 'superior risk' and my shop/barn a 'good risk' .... whatever that means, never was on any previous bills.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-27-16, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It could be that since roll roofing has no edge fasteners it could be blown off too readily, and become a major leak.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-27-16, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Makes sense although I always thought it was common practice to lay a bead of roofing caulk along the perimeter.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-27-16, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Yeah, we always laid roofing cement on the leading edge and sides, but that is probably not secure enough for insurance purposes.

KY

09-28-16, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I've never seen that exclusion. Who is your insurer?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-28-16, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)  
East Tenn Mutual, it's a local co op type insurance. Because I have a mobile home [without a title] inside my house they are the only ones that will insure it.

Search this Thread