Correct Humidifier setup

Old 02-03-04, 06:54 PM
DapperDan
Visiting Guest
Correct Humidifier setup

This may tie into some of my problems in my other post, how should a furnace humidifier be set up?

The one I have is hooked on the side of the main duct after my heat exchanger and A-coil, air pushes through the humidifier and is then piped to the cold air return where it goes through the air filter, to the blower, and back through the heat exchanger, my dad says this is what the set up called for, seems to me you wouldn't want it going through the air filter and blower once it was humidified?

Is my thinking wrong here or is this the correct way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-04, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Id look at the paper work that came with the humidifier. This is what we call a bypass one and yes it goes into the heat duct and back to the cold air duct. BUT most of them that I know the unit goes on the cold air and just the round pipe goes on the heat duct. You could see if you can find the one you have on the web some where. Most that are not bypass go into the heat duct ED

Old 02-04-04, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
DapperDan:

If you have a drum type by-pass humidifier, the ones I'm familiar with all recommend that the unit be installed on the return side of the blower and that the bypass duct be on the supply.
They are designed to have the air enter the center of the drum and then pass through the wet media to the return side of the fan.
I'd watch out for premature failure of the pad or motor if the supply air temp is haigh on your furnace.

Give us the make and model and we can check for the correct installation method and also what type of furnace you have.

Go here for what we need to know.