humidity setting

Old 02-05-04, 08:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
humidity setting

My house that I just purchased already has a whole house humidifier in it and I was just wondering about the correct setting for it. I have turned it down to about 25% because I have noticed some condensation on windows and around doors on cold days.

Anyways in the dead of winter the tempeture can sometimes go down to -50celcius with the windchill, I belive that -40f and -40c are about the same if you dont know the conversion. Anyways what would the correct setting be for tempetures that cold. the chart on the humidifier says around 40% but that causes condensation.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 02:45 PM
at what humidity does the water form on the windows? at those temps, that heat is screaming toward windows, door cracks, etc, carrying with it the moisture it contains. does this happen at higher outdoor temps as well?

Old 02-05-04, 05:12 PM
No it only happens when it is cold outside. I know why it happens but I was just wondering was is considered the proper balance for health while not having so much condensation

Old 02-06-04, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
unique3:

In cold climates the recommended settring is around 15% at -40C

These are just recommendations though.
The settings you should choose are one's that don't cause water to run off the windows.
You can change this setting as the weather changes.

You can do a few things to minimze your problem.

Once you establish a level that works make sure you run an exhaust fan or range hood when cooking and bathing to control any extra moisture you create.
Also make sure curtains and drapes are left open and that heat vents near windows are open to keep the window surface warmer which will reduce condensation.

Old 03-06-04, 07:17 AM
Humidity

Monitor humidity levels in your home with a hygrometer (sold where they sell thermometers). You may need more than one for different rooms or areas within the home. Humidity levels between 30-55% are within normal limits. If less than 30%, humidify. If more than 55%, dehumidify. The only way to accurately know what humidity levels are is to measure with a hygrometer.

Old 03-06-04, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Humidity recomendations in cold climates

As our poster happens to reside in my home city I should point out a consideration when humidity levels are being considered.

Humidity levels for human comfort are between 35% - 55% as twelvepole has said.
The thing that must be factored into a recommended setting in a cold climate such as ours is the building's ability to withstand these levels at sub-zero temperatures.
Most house construction within the last forty years has had some form of vapor barrier installed in the walls so the structure itself is able to withstand levels close to recommended levels.
Where there is usually a problem is the windows.
Older style double glazed windows will start condensing if the outdoor temps are in the -20c/0f and indoor humidity is in the 30%-40% range.
This winter we have had many days of -40c/-40f and colder where levels of 30% humidity would cause a torent of water on older double glaze windows.

So here humidity recomendations have to be tempered by the ability of the structure to withstand the levels we need to be comfortable.

Here is a CDN government site that has some info on this. (A bit of a long read.)