Whole-house humidifier w/steam-heat radiators

Old 02-22-04, 05:48 PM
Beachat
Visiting Guest
Whole-house humidifier w/steam-heat radiators

Hello.
Any advice about brands/models of whole-house humidifiers that can be used in homes with steam heat radiators?
I have an 80 year-old brick house w/steam-heat radiators (a real fixer-upper, but we love it!). The house is probably loose to average with regard to insulation. Lots and lots of huge windows and, while there are three courses of brick, there is not, I think, insulation between the brick & plaster.
The first and second floors of the house have 3000 square feet of living space.
There is also a finished basement (perhaps 1300 square feet?).
An HVAC contractor installed the April Aire 350 into our basement and it has a register on our first floor. This has proven to be much too small a humidifer for our home (evidenced by the fact that it never stops running -- that is, it never achieves the humidity set on the humidistat).
Any advice about other brands/models of whole-house humidifiers that can be used in homes with steam heat radiators?
Thank you in advance for any advice/ideas you offer.
-Bea.

Old 02-23-04, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just what are how did he install this humidifier in ? Have you tried any of the large room models? ED

Emerson makes some portable home units. some up to 14 gal a day

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 02-23-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Here is a pdf of the installation manual for your unit.

This unit is rated for about 2500 sq ft in an average tightness house and 3600 sq ft in a tight house.
Also, this unit is capable of being ducted and connected to up to 145 deg F water.

You may be able to do something with what you have now, like connect a return air duct to the first floor.

Image credit: designedair.com

Last edited by GregH; 02-23-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-28-04, 10:36 PM
Beachat
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the responses. The humidifier was installed in the basement -- connected to an intake water line and connected to a drainage line that dumps into our laundry room sink. The humidified air runs through 6" duct and is expelled through a register under a radiator on the first floor. Offering this info in response to the question about how the humdifier was installed.
We need a humidifier with larger capacity. I am certain of that. But I can not find another brand that works without being connected to a forced-heat systme (something we don't have). And, as for portable models that need to be filled-up, I find that I don't fill them up and, therefore, they don't work. With kids and pets and sick parents and jobs, we're so busy that "simplify" is the magic word.
Thanks for any ideas,
Bea

Old 02-28-04, 10:41 PM
Beachat
Visiting Guest
PS
You mentioned installing a "return air duct" on the first floor.
Is this what we have -- namely, a duct connected to a register through which the humdified air is delivered to the first floor? OR is return air the room air that should be "returned" to the basement where it can be sucked in and re-humdified by the machine?
Thanks,
Bsa

Old 02-29-04, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
register through which the humdified air is delivered to the first floor? [OR is return air] the room air that should be "returned" to the basement where it can be sucked in and re-humdified by the machine?
There you go.A duct back to the unit. You have to like get some air back to the unit to put more humidity in the air to the home. ED

Old 02-29-04, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Bea:

Your humidifier will produce more humidity if you increase the airflow and connect it to hw.

Check to make sure it is hooked up like in your manual or the link I provided.
You say it is connected with 6' duct but the manual says it needs 7". 7" is not a standard size so the duct must be configured to have at least this equivalent taking length and elbows into account.
The outlet need not be near the register so relocating the outlet closer to the unit would increase airflow if the current duct is long and has many elbows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: