Aprilaire humidifier automatic?

Old 03-29-04, 02:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
should I make our Aprilaire humidifier automatic?

We have an Aprilaire 560 Bypass humidifier installed in our air handler in our basement. The house is about 4700 sf, but they did not install a humidifier in our attic air handler because it is in an unheated space, and they said there would be a risk of freezing.
Our humidifier has a manual humidistat (i believe it is the 4016 model).
I was wondering if it would make sense to change it to the automatic humidistat (Aprilaire model 56).
Would the 24v wiring from the furnace to the manual humidistat just be transferred over to the new humidistat?
It is close to an outside wall, so there would be no problem placing the sensor.
Does it make sense to replace the manual one with an automatic one?

Old 03-30-04, 08:36 AM
not sure what you mean by an automatic vs manual humidistat. does it have a setback feature depending on outdoor temp? i agree with no humidifier in the attic, i do not ever install them there for obvious reasons. be sure you have a damper in the bypass duct on the humidifier and close it during cooling sesaon

Old 03-30-04, 08:46 AM
D
By automatic I mean that instead of my changing the humidity setting depending on thew outside temperature, the automatic one has a temperature sensing bulb and then changes the humidity setting automatically depending on what the temperature is.

Old 03-30-04, 11:48 AM
the automatic one has a temperature sensing bulb and then changes the humidity setting automatically depending on what the temperature is.
Id forget all about it. You will set the inside control and find where it works best for the humidity in the home and just work fine . I feel its just a good sales pitch is about all and dont try to sell them

Does it make sense to replace the manual one with an automatic one?
NO

As they say K.I.S.S

ED

Old 03-30-04, 03:59 PM
The Aprilair automatic humidistat seems to work very well for us, but the one I have needs to be installed directly in the air stream before the humidifier. I assume the one you currently have is on a wall in the living space. Make sure the one you're looking at is designed to mount on a wall or plan to move it to the cold air plenum. I set ours when I installed it, tweaked it a couple of times and haven't touched it since. We've had some condensation on the windows, but only when it got cold fast and the humidity level hadn't gotten down to the new setting yet. With a manual humidistat, I suppose you could anticipate cold weather and lower the humidity a day or 2 ahead... I'd forget...

Doug M.

Old 03-31-04, 01:05 PM
personally, if the manual was installed i would pass on the automatic one unless in your case you would benefit from it. why are you considering changing it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: