Dehumidifier

Old 04-21-04, 08:12 PM
Stephen
Visiting Guest
Dehumidifier

I have an unfinished basement with concrete walls and floor. The basement is always damp and musty smelling. Currently I have an old Sears 48 pint automatic dehumidifier that runs often. Is this unit powerful enough for a 24' x 36' basement? Also, the unit has a drain connection. Is it okay to run a drain hose from the unit into the crushed stones in the sump pump hole?

Old 04-22-04, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id say no. Your just putting the water back in the ground there is all. If you dont have a sump pump in the hole that will pump the water out of the home.

dehumidifier that runs often.
I tink it should run more are all the time here.

ED

Old 04-23-04, 05:39 PM
my 2 cents

1) unit under sized

2) draining into sump bad idea.

use a condensate pump if necessary to get that water out of the space

Old 05-16-04, 07:18 AM
T
Dehumidifier

If you run dehumidifier drain into sump, make sure sump is working properly. You don't want water in the basement. Additional dehumidifiers or a larger unit to accommodate the size of the area(s) you need to dehumidify will help reduce humidity. Running a fan will improve air circulation and help with musty odors. Musty odor is usually a sign of mold and mildew. Check surfaces and disinfect to eliminate mold and mildew.

Old 05-16-04, 07:55 AM
T
Basement humidity

Dehumidifiers are selected based on the pints per 24 hours it can handle given the room size and dampness levels. Typically, a very damp 2,500 square foot area would require at least a 32-pint capacity unit. You report 864 square feet and a 48-pint unit which runs all the time. I wonder if the unit is working properly and about the level of dampness you are dealing with and its cause.

Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear and carrying excess moisture away from home. Make sure soil around structure is graded to carry rain away from foundation. Seal air and duct leaks to reduce the amount of humid outdoor air you are bringing into the basement. Make sure dryer is vented to outdoors.

A damp basement is commonly caused by moisture migrating through a concrete foundation. There may not be a sign of any leak or standing water, but the moisture evaporates, increasing indoor humidity. Another common cause is condensation on the cold concrete walls and floors during humid months. Sealing concrete floors and walls tends to help with basement humidity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: