Humidifier help

Old 10-29-04, 07:03 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Humidifier help

Last year, our townhouse was really dry (humidity around 25% I believe). So I did some research on humidifiers and ended up getting a warm mist humidifier (Bionaire I think). I let it run all weekend in our living room non-stop and the humidity changed a whopping 1%. A whole house unit is not feasible (furnace is in a closet with practically no room around it). I don't think a portable whole house unit would work well either since the townhouse is 4 stories tall. Anybody have some suggestions on a good humidifier? I went with a warm mist rather than cool mist previously because, in wintertime, I figured the warm mist would help warm the air a little also. I have also seen in Home Depot the vent humidifiers. Do these actually work? I could only use them on every other floor since I have vents in the ceiling and floor. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Old 10-30-04, 06:42 PM
T
Humidifier

Making sure that a humidifier's output is adequate for the area to be humidified is important. If house is older and drafty, it will be harder to humidify.

If you have forced hot-air heating and need a whole-house humidifier, an alternative to a console model is an in-duct unit. You don't have to find space for it in your house, and you also don't have to keep refilling it, because it's attached to your home water supply. Professional installation may be required, since plumbing and electrical wiring may have to be put in place.

One in-duct model is the Desert Spring Power Humidifier DS2001C. Its rotating-disk design requires little maintenance, and the unit doesn't incorporate the problematic humidifier pad that often clogs up other furnace units. Mineral particles are rinsed from the disks when they re-enter the reservoir and fall into a basin from which they can be drained periodically.

Old 11-01-04, 02:34 PM
Wink

For sure go with a humidifier there on the furnace. You dont say just what room you have. But a Honeywell will fit on the heat plenum also there is a Perfect Climate. Be sure and get a current sensing relay for it for when the blower comes on. That warm mist you spoke of forget it. When you get the humidity up in the home then you will feel warmer and push the tstat down. For get one on each register. The body likes from 40% to 65% Hum.

ED

Old 11-18-04, 10:44 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by twelvepole
One in-duct model is the Desert Spring Power Humidifier DS2001C. Its rotating-disk design requires little maintenance, and the unit doesn't incorporate the problematic humidifier pad that often clogs up other furnace units. Mineral particles are rinsed from the disks when they re-enter the reservoir and fall into a basin from which they can be drained periodically.
Do not buy this one. I have it for 1 year and have too many problems with it:
Disc does not evaporate enough water to make humidity above 35%. The disk needs to be cleaned every 2 month (otherwise it get a lot of mold) even you flush it twice a day.
IT IS at least 3 TIMES OVERPRICED.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: